Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips

Old 06-30-2010, 01:12 PM   #1
ArizonaKev

Lessons in wake of tragedy

Back in March of this year, there was a bad wreck involving 8 motorcycles and a dump truck here in Phoenix. 4 riders were killed, and several others severely injured when the truck plowed into them as they were stopped at a red light.

A gentleman posted an article, from a rider's perspective, about the accident, and if there are any lessons we can all take away from this. I thought it was pretty good, so I am posting a link to it here :

http://www.examiner.com/x-378-Motorc...Phoenix-mayhem

We all need to honor the memory of our lost brothers and sisters by riding safe and being grateful for the lives we have been given...

AZ Kev

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-30-2010, 02:11 PM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Re: Lessons in wake of tragedy

Reading reports about the death, destruction and maiming has often made me rethink my 2 wheeled obsession. Then I see the Sun come out and warm up the day. I go for a ride and become younger again. OR I could hide at home and become old very fast while not enjoying life to it's fullest.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:49 PM   #3
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

That is a harrowing picture.

Old 06-30-2010, 04:14 PM   #4
New GZ250

I was just on a ride on and I flagman had a line of cars stopped for road construction, a car came around a blind curve behind me and had to swerve in order not to rear end me. It scared the hell out of me. I did not have time to hit the throttle. It was a close call! Lesson learned, pull as far to the right when you have to stop on a blind curve! I was very lucky! I should of know better! The car that almost hit me was going to fast as there were signs warning "flagman ahead be prepared to stop!"
Old 06-30-2010, 05:35 PM   #5
ArizonaKev

Glad you came out of it ok New GZ. Stories like this don't make me reconsider whether or not I ought to be riding a motorcycle. But they do cause me to go back over my riding technique and behaviors, and make sure I am doing everything in the manner that best ensures my safety and the safety of others.

It also makes me extremely grateful to be alive to ride the next day. There, but for the Grace of God, go I.

AZ Kev

Old 06-30-2010, 07:45 PM   #6
mole2

During the Harley Crusing the Coast rally here in SC back in May there were two instances of riders getting rear ended and killed. One was two motorcycles stopped at a light with a car in front of them. A woman in an SUV plowed into them and the car. Both bikes were destroyed and the riders killed. The second instance was a bike with driver and passenger came to a stop to make a left turn when an 18 yo girl slammed them from behind. I heard she was texting. The driver was killed and the passenger survived.

I wish there were a way to prevent texting in an automobile while the enging is running. There are just too many accidents now days caused by cell phones that it's getting very unsafe on the roads for cages no less bikes.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:36 PM   #7
Water Warrior 2

We have had a cell phone/driving law here for a while now. A few months of LEOs stopping and fining folks is making a difference. I notice more and more cages stopped on the side of the road with folks on their cells. Now we need an Idiot law. The biggest problem is that cages of any size or shape can driven by any idiot because these vehicles are virtually idiot proof. I watched a fellow in a BMW today who couldn't park beside another car. I could have put a bus in that hole with ease.
Old 11-27-2010, 12:26 AM   #8
alelogman

I learned my lesson well that we should not play with speed. I'm just thankful to God for being there that night.