Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 01-20-2007, 01:45 PM   #1
BadMojo

How do you polish your bike, paint and chrome?

I would like to hear from any and all what type of products have you used and which you have found to perform better than others. Please include application details. Thanks in advance. BadMojo.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 01-26-2007, 05:45 PM   #2
Edy

Hi there BadMojo
the product that I've been using since 2004 is "Dry-N-Wash". So far it's been great on all parts of the bike with a really nice shine and protects against the paint fading from the UV ray's. It's easy to use, just spray on a small amount onto the bike and rub in with a soft cloth or shamy.
How ever, it's becoming more and more diffuct to find, and it's expencive, 50oz costs around $60CN.
Old 01-26-2007, 06:10 PM   #3
BadMojo

Thanks for the response. I'll read up on it and find out if it's available locally.

Old 01-26-2007, 06:39 PM   #4
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo
I powerwash mine at the carwash lol. Then take it home and give it a good polish, scratch/swirl remover and waxing.

I use the good stuff. The bike isnt cheap, neither is the products i use. For polish/swirl/wax i use Meguiars or Turtle wax showroom mirror finish. Entire bike gets the wax including the chrome.

Swirl / scratch remover does wonders on the tank. So does the 3 step process of polishing, swirl/scratch remover then a final waxing. Takes alot of time but well worth the finished look.

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook
Old 02-01-2007, 05:34 AM   #5
Badbob

I use Meguiars. Easiest to apply of any wax I have ever used.

Old 02-01-2007, 05:38 AM   #6
Badbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupo
I powerwash mine at the carwash lol.
Just in case someone doesn't know this. You need to be careful to keep pressure washers away from anything that has seals. You can get water into bearings and other places it should not be.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:14 AM   #7
Dupo

yea i guess i should have added that i dont put the nozzle anywhere near the bike. i stand several feet away and just 'mist' it with the high pressure. then soap it up with the brush (VERY gently), hit the rims/tires with tire cleaner and finish off with a mist of clean water and a final mist of the spotless rinse. also keeping away from the chain and seat (where my electrical stuff is). 5 'big blue' $.50 towels later and she's good as new.

ride it home for complete drying then wax on, wax off with micro fiber towels.

Motorcycle Blog
Facebook
Old 02-01-2007, 01:38 PM   #8
Badbob

Micro fiber towels are great for wiping down your bike. The best thing I have ever found. I never have lint using them.

I get as much off as I can with water to then wash with car wash soap and cold water starting with soft/shiny parts and working toward the hard/greasy parts. Chrome is hard paint is about medium and plastic is soft. My definitions. I start with the windshield unless I'm planning to wash the greasy side. Otherwise I will work bottom up using separate tolls for the greasy parts. It a tool gets dropped or laid down its dirty.

Tools I like to use:

Paint brushes with the metal parts wrapped with duct tape so it will not scratch. Marked dirty for cleaning greasy parts and clean for the soft and shinny things. You can clean all the bugs off a windshield with a light mist of water and a soft paint brush. Use the dirty brushes for the bottom of the bike as it will get lots of road grime and oil on the bottom.

Car wash mitts. I get mine at AutoZone when they are on sale. Dip one of these into you wash bucket and come back with a pint of soapy water in it. Was new ones in the washer and dry them before you use them else there will be lots of lint.

For drying the bike I use micro fiber towels I get in a big bag at Sams. These are better than anything I know of for drying your bike. They work better after they get a little water on them. When washing these put them in the washing machine but air dry them because when I put them in the dryer every single piece of lint in the dryer stuck to them.

I like brushes for cleaning wheels and tires. I have several brushes I use for cleaning things but if I could only have one brush it would look like this one:

The handle is offset so you don't bang your knuckles and the bristles are long enough to get into your spokes.

Brillo pads. This is for chrome. Use it to get marks off your exhaust from your boots and clean the tough stuff off you wheels. This is also good for removing rust from chrome but I like 000 steel wool and WD40 better. You can scrub your tires with these if you want.

Simple Green and your dirty brush is great for cleaning up the bottom of your bike. If your going to wax it you could clean the entire bike with it but since it is a degreaser it will probably remove wax.

I use kerosene on a small piece of towel to clean really dirty stuff like oil that slings off the chain. I also use this for cleaning my chain.

A soft toothbrush will get wax residue out of cracks and corners. I like to wax the plastic parts so bugs are easier to remove. On the turn signals there is always wax residue around the part numbers molded into the lens. The soft toothbrush will get this off quick. Slightly use brushes are better.

For wash soap I use what ever car wash soap is the best by when I go to the store. Dish washing liquids will remove wax. The liquid car wash soap is designed to be gentle on wax and paint. Right now I'm using Turtle Wax Car wash.

Keep in mind that hard thing scratch soft things. Dirty towels on paint or windshield is bad. Hard plastic bristles on paint is bad. Steel wool on chrome is OK because chrome is way harder than steel.

Just in case you are wondering why all the cleaning stuff is here. Cleaning is prep for waxing.

I use Maguires wax because I've never used any other wax that was so easy to apply. I wax everything thats shiny except spokes

One thing you don't want to do is put anything like Armour All or tire dressing on rubber and upholstery. Much of this stuff is slippery and if it gets in the wrong place you might be putting on a nice fireworks show in the middle of the street one night. Just think how much fun it would be to stand up on you pegs at 40mph to go over a bump you can't avoid and have your foot slip off. It's bad enough having to worry about getting oil on you boots. When you stop.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:58 PM   #9
BadMojo

Thanks guys, I know it's simple but I'd rather read it and learn, than do it and cry. :lol: It's still a bit cold here but as soon as the thermometer hits 50 I'll wash my pride and joy.

Old 02-01-2007, 03:38 PM   #10
Dupo

That bike is so cool looking. Love the beefyness of those things.

Motorcycle Blog
Facebook