Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips

Old 03-05-2009, 09:19 AM   #1
stomper

gear for women

I bought my wife a gz and have had a hard time finding gloves for her.she is 5' tall about 80lbs.all the gloves we have found the fingers are too long.anyone have any suggestions as to who makes a glove that might fit? I would also like some input as to what suggestions helped you when you first learned to ride.she wants me to teach her and so far we are doing ok but i am not an instructer and i learned to ride by doing and it was on dirt.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-05-2009, 10:09 AM   #2
caroledee1

Re: gear for women

Quote:
Originally Posted by stomper
I would also like some input as to what suggestions helped you when you first learned to ride.she wants me to teach her and so far we are doing ok but i am not an instructer and i learned to ride by doing and it was on dirt.
The MSF Basic RiderCourse is designed as a 15-hour curriculum that takes place over a few days or consecutive weekends.

S&S POWERSPORTS CLARKSVILLE 47129 CLARK (317) 422-8474

I have not taken it as I have ridden for 30+ years myself. I have heard alot of good things about it though.

Welcome to the forum. Happy riding to you both.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:31 AM   #3
Easy Rider

Quote:
I bought my wife a gz and have had a hard time finding gloves for her.she is 5' tall about 80lbs.all the gloves we have found the fingers are too long.
I have a similar problem. At 5'4" and 140 lbs (in my prime.....somewhat MORE now!) with an inseam about 28", I don't have any problem finding shirts to fit but pants are a different matter......and to a certain extent, gloves too.

The trick, I think, is to shop in the kids section. I got some reinforced bicycle gloves that fit real good........at WalMart, I think. Not quite the crash protection of leather but they stretch and the seams don't leave marks and make your hands numb. Since they are textile, they vent good enough to still be used when it is HOT out.

Now I'm trying to find some mesh riding pants. As usual, I have a jacket that fits, no problem but the pants just aren't available in "adult" sizes for a 36 waist and 28 inseam. Gonna look for "stout" juniors, I think. SIGH.

As for the training: Practice, practice, practice.....and the MSF course comes highly recommended. How much time does she have (recently) on a bicycle? Not kidding about that. The best motorcycle training for a rookie is being sure you can handle a bicycle good. Borrow one from the neighbor's kid if you don't have one and practice dead-slow balance and cornering.

Old 03-05-2009, 03:04 PM   #4
Joho

Geez easy, 5'4"?? Does the GZ "proportionate" ya???

Only joking! I'm sure you were picked on enough when you were my age! :neener:
Old 03-05-2009, 05:05 PM   #5
greenhorn

[quote=Easy Rider]
Quote:

How much time does she have (recently) on a bicycle? Not kidding about that. The best motorcycle training for a rookie is being sure you can handle a bicycle good. Borrow one from the neighbor's kid if you don't have one and practice dead-slow balance and cornering.
Agree with this totally. I am a new rider & all of the biking i have done sure has come in handy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Easy Rider":194h2t4d
Quote:
As for the training: Practice, practice, practice.....and the MSF course comes highly recommended.
[/quote:194h2t4d]

This course is worth the price. Here it cost $160.... well worth it. Did LOADS for my confidence not to mention all the tips & time to get some practice drills down to do on my own. GO GZ!!!

M

Old 03-06-2009, 09:44 AM   #6
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joho
Geez easy, 5'4"?? Does the GZ "proportionate" ya???
It fits quite nicely......mostly.
Pulled the bars back a bit and sit up close to the gas tank most of the time.
When you have really short legs, it limits your choice of rides a bit.

OH, and for anybody who is tempted to say "Bigger bikes are no problem; you don't need to flat-foot it".......just save it, OK? I've been there and done that and refuse to ride anything that I don't feel totally in control of. IMHO, a small person NEEDS a small bike.......to be safe and comfortable.

Oops, sorry; maybe I'm preaching to the choir !!! :biggrin:
Old 03-06-2009, 11:14 AM   #7
stomper

Thanks for all the input i am familar with the msf course a guy i work with went to that one.she does not want to go without basic knowledge and she would have a hard time schedule wise.thanks again and i shall wait for more input
Old 03-06-2009, 01:29 PM   #8
mrlmd1

She does not need any basic knowledge to take the course - and sometimes it's harder to unlearn something than to learn it right the first time.
Make time in the schedule, it's usually only for a weekend. That's better than making an unscheduled trip to the ER or the hospital for an extended stay.
Old 03-06-2009, 02:17 PM   #9
willowolf

I took the course and it's tailored to people who have never been on a bike. I had to take it because of the new law in Florida, but I planned on taking it whether I had to or not. It's most certainly worth taking it! As for the gear, I'm a 5'4" lady and I've also had a hard time with gloves. If it's for grip and light hand protection, I'd actually suggest batting gloves. That's what I learned with and still use when it's not cold. They have wonderful venilation and don't lose grip when it rains. Also, they're super cheap and easy to stash if you don't have a saddlebag. I'm looking for some good snowmobile gloves for winter. Snow sport gear is still easier to find than ladies' riding gear.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:48 PM   #10
alantf

With regard to "snow sport gear" I had a great pair of leather ski gloves. Although I've never skid in my life, they were marvelous for wearing in the snow. I should imagine that they were excellent for holding ski poles. The problem was however, that they were totally useless when trying to operate the bike controls. While they were the warmest gloves I've ever had, they were designed to wrap around stationary poles, with insufficient "give" to easily move the fingers to different positions. I'd really suggest that if you see a pair of ski gloves that you like, you try them on the controls before you buy them.