Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips

Old 08-25-2010, 03:48 PM   #1
dhgeyer

David L. Hough Down

I got this from the BMW MOA forum, in which Mr. Hough participates. For those of you who don't know, Mr. Hough has written three books on proficient motorcycling, and is considered by most to be the dean of motorcycle safety training in the USA. Much if not most of the material and exercises used in the MSF BRC were originated by Mr. Hough, and used by the MSF uncredited and without permission. He never pressed that issue, as that is not his style. He felt that, if the material was helping train riders, that was what he cared about the most.

Anyway, on July 31, 2010, David Hough had a motorcycle accident which, from his description, was partly to mostly his fault, depending on how you look at it. He was riding a friend's Triumph sportbike. A truck, evidently with its brakelights not working, slowed abruptly in front of him. He overbraked, did a couple of stoppies, and then went end over end. He was, of course, in full safety gear. His only serious injuries were to his hands, which required surgery. He is still recuperating.

What I take from this is that, no matter how good you are, there is risk in motorcycling. We can and should do everything we can to minimize the risk. How much we know, how well we ride, and how we ride makes a huge difference in our chances of being injured or killed. But the risk can never be eliminated. Of course, as I am sure others will point out, there is risk in everything we do. One of my favorite quips is that, if I really cared about safety I'd never go to bed, as that's where most people die.

Still, after our accident 3 years ago, I never pass by a car that's about to turn left from the oncoming lane, or go by a car that could pull out from a parking lot or side street, without the inner awareness that, regardless of all the precautions and things I do to prevent it and/or prepare for it, there is a brief span of time when I am at the mercy of that other driver. If they jump at just the wrong moment, there will be nothing I can do to prevent an accident. That's what happened to us three years ago. It can always happen again.

I don't mean to be all doom and gloom, but hearing of Mr. Hough's misfortune makes me think. Of course I wish him speedy recovery and all the best. There has been a tremendous outpouring of support on the MOA forum. He has touched so many lives in such a positive way.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-25-2010, 03:58 PM   #2
ArizonaKev

Re: David L. Hough Down

Wow dh, I am sorry to hear about the accident he had, and I will absolutely keep him and his fam in my prayers.

Personally, I don't see your posting so much as "doom and gloom" as it is a stark reminder that - as you said - we must always be vigilant, and even that sometimes is not enough. It is for that very reason that I just cringe every time I see someone speeding down the highway on their bike with no helmet on, no jacket on, no safety gear of any kind. I think about them sliding across the asphalt and how that would feel, as I myself have done it before. And I can assure them, and everyone else, it is no fun at all - even less so when you are wearing nothing but a t-shirt.

Some of the best advice I ever got about riding a motorcycle was to pretend that I am completely invisible at all times : no one, anywhere, at any time, can see me at all. And so I have to ride as if that is the case. Even if someone looks me RIGHT in the eye (which has happened numerous times) and I am SURE they see me, they just might pull out right in front of me anyway. In other words, it's like I am invisible to them.

That advice has kept me out of some nasty scrapes over the years, and the one time I did drop my bike, there were no other vehicles involved - it was my own lack of skill when I was younger. But even then, the unthinkable can still happen. And at times like those, those of us who wear gear are ever so grateful we do. And those who don't - well, hopefully they live to tell about it.

Good post - good reminder. Be safe all.

AZ Kev
Old 08-25-2010, 04:08 PM   #3
Water Warrior 2

Thanks for the confirmation. I read a rumor a while ago but no one could/would say an actual yes or no to it. I certainly hope for David's speedy recovery and no after effects. His knowledge has been invaluable to so many riders throughout the world. Most rider training course instructors know and use his knowledge extensively. I do know that my rider training based on David's writing and then reading his books has made riding a great pleasure to an old retired guy.

Old 08-25-2010, 04:56 PM   #4
Sarris

Hope old Dave gets well soon.

If I follow someone without brake lights, I try to pull up next to them at a stop or traffic light and tell them, as most have no idea.

Some, refuse to roll down the window more than a crack as i guess they are intimidated by my large size and big black Harley.

Remember, if it can happen to Dave, it can happen to you, so everyone BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!!!!

:2tup:
Old 08-25-2010, 08:38 PM   #5
Water Warrior 2

Same applies to bikes with no brakes lights. I always look for brake lights in any type of slowing of a cage/bike/bus/truck. It is amazing how many folks never consider a light check on their form of transport. Everyday whether I ride or drive I do a light check. I rode with a very experienced rider on a Virago which had both brake light bulbs burned out. I followed him at a fairly long distance just in case. At our destination I mentioned the brake lights and he just chuckled but they were replaced later that week. Me, being a little funny about lights would have ment replace them now if not sooner.

Old 08-26-2010, 05:20 AM   #6
alantf

Over here, I doubt you'd find 10% of vehicles with all their brake lights working. The Spanish just don't seem to bother about such "little" details. Either that or they don't realise that it's just a case of changing the bulb. I mentioned to one of my neighbours that one of his brake lights was out, & I thought he was having a heart attack until I told him it was only the bulb. I suspect he thought it was a major repair in the workshop (I kid you not) All this, & by law you must carry a spare set of bulbs in your vehicle.