Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips

Old 10-03-2010, 01:40 PM   #1
trykemike

playing chicken

A few weeks ago I was riding back from the lake. The highway is a 2 lane 50 mph road. Traffic usually runs at 55 - 60 mph. No problem for the GZ . This road is heavily used by gravel trucks some pulling trailers. The trucks usually run at 60-65 mph. There are several hills along the route. On 1 long hill I encounterd a gravel truck pulling an empty trailer. I was doing 55 mph and as the truck pulled onto the highway from the on ramp he cut in front of me I braked to avoid being hit. Later along the route we encountered a long hill with 2 lanes on the up-side. I decided to pass this same truck. He picked up speed and as I approached in excess of 75 mph and the half-way mark of his trailer he decided that he had enough of me and signaled that he was pulling into my lane. I could see these big tires coming at me I was forced to straddle the yellow line as an oncoming transport approached, I was able to fade back in behind the gravel truck at the last second. The lesson that I learned is not to play the ego with something bigger than you and if you are already exceeding the posted speed limit there is no reason to pass.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-03-2010, 11:00 PM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Re: playing chicken

That sounds pretty scary. I sometimes have to play with logging trucks in my travels so I can relate to what you say. Please keep in mind the GZ is also a very small target in a trucker's mirror. Make yourself as visible as possible.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:03 AM   #3
alanmcorcoran

If you like to pass things, get a bigger bike. On the Strat, I just imagine myself in front of, well, ANYTHING, and I'm pretty much already there. It goes from 60-100 in about 2 seconds.

I only pass pedestrians and bicyclists when I'm on the Geezer (assuming I've got a tailwind and we're not going uphill.)

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-05-2010, 12:42 AM   #4
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
If you like to pass things, get a bigger bike. On the Strat, I just imagine myself in front of, well, ANYTHING, and I'm pretty much already there. It goes from 60-100 in about 2 seconds.

I only pass pedestrians and bicyclists when I'm on the Geezer (assuming I've got a tailwind and we're not going uphill.)
I can believe that. Was once passed by a kid on a skate board going downhill on the highway. I kept waiting for a bearing failure at 60 MPH and watching him get spit off with no safety gear.