Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Performance

Old 02-27-2009, 09:23 AM   #51
Quimrider

Send a message via AIM to Quimrider
Re: Oil Cooler?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
One more comment and then I will have said enough on this topic (maybe too much):
I was thinking the same thing. This topic seems to have rambled on. Later this spring, after I've gotten some temperature readings, I'll post the results and then I think I'll be done with this topic.

Quote:
We know the head was warped. How do we know that overheating caused this?
Good point. We don't know for sure. I rode to work today in the lovely Ohio liquid sunshine which got me thinking. Since it was leaking on the front of the engine maybe it warped from the water being splashed up on the front of the engine in the rain and this whole oil cooler idea is a waste of time.

Quote:
IIRC, he said he has a 16T front sprocket. If that is true, I just can't see overheating in 5th gear........unless there is something else to the story. Now if one were to spend a LOT of time at WOT in 4th, then different story maybe.
You recall correctly. I too am not fully convinced that WOT for extended times at about 7K RPM would have caused an overheat and cyl, head warp. I would only down shift to 4th WOT for not more than a few minutes. Just enuff to climb a hill or overcome whatever was slowing me down. I usually shifted back to 5th around 7.5k RPM occasionally going up to but not exceeding 8K RPM. Essentially I don't think I was ever in 4th WOT long enuff to cause a problem.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-27-2009, 09:29 AM   #52
CMS

Re: Oil Cooler?

Thanks to all ,good answers, Quimrider, you make a lot of sense, and it does come down to dollas and cents on everything. :2tup: CMS

2017 Yamaha R -3 White
2013 Suzuki GW250 Black
FSSNOC # 4953