Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Performance

Old 02-20-2009, 05:59 PM   #11
alanmcorcoran

Re: Oil Cooler?

Not sure anymore. Think God has checked his 401K lately? Hope he didn't have it all with Stanford and Madoff. He'll be needing a bailout from future US generations. Nothing sadder than a laid off angel.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-20-2009, 07:33 PM   #12
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimrider
I thought I'd throw this idea out to see if anyone else had any thoughts.
My first thought is: Your browser is posting messages that are WAY too wide; hard to read.
My second thought is: Not necessary or useful to post that picture YET AGAIN in such a short time.

Back to the subject at hand.......bad, BAD idea. Without access to the design specs. of the oil system, you are
indeed likely to starve something (or everything) of oil and have a meltdown. :skull:
Old 02-21-2009, 09:02 AM   #13
adrianinflorida

Back to the original post, to put an oil cooler on, you'd need either external oil lines to tap into or at least, ports/fittings on the motor that would facilitate routing the oil flow out to the cooler and back in to the engine. The GZ's 250 doesn't have either, afaik.

Old 02-21-2009, 09:03 AM   #14
adrianinflorida

And my post on the 250 thread wasn't that I thought I could put the 350 into a GZ250, but that the frame was pretty damn similar, a typical Chinese reverse engineered knock-off.
Old 02-21-2009, 11:10 AM   #15
music man

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianinflorida
And my post on the 250 thread wasn't that I thought I could put the 350 into a GZ250, but that the frame was pretty damn similar, a typical Chinese reverse engineered knock-off.

Yea but this site has a long history and MANY LOCKED THREADS because of the "turn my GZ into a 350" conversation, and the problem is like I said before NO ONE has even bought a single part to try it, much less ACTUALLY try it or DO IT, that is why the tone turned sour in a hurry when you brought it up.

And that IS a GZ250 frame and a modified GZ250 engine with different name tags on it.

Old 02-21-2009, 11:16 AM   #16
Easy Rider

Quote:
or at least, ports/fittings on the motor that would facilitate routing the oil flow out to the cooler and back in to the engine. The GZ's 250 doesn't have either, afaik.
Yes but the point IS: The GZ has a port that is used, I believe, to test the oil pressure. Some have proposed putting a fitting there to connect an oil cooler. Two problems with that: Where do you bring in the return line AND how do you ensure that creating such a bypass loop won't cause the rest of the engine to become oil starved. It's that second part that is the "killer".....literally! :skull:
Old 02-21-2009, 11:25 AM   #17
Quimrider

Send a message via AIM to Quimrider

Quote:
Back to the original post, to put an oil cooler on, you'd need either external oil lines to tap into or at least, ports/fittings on the motor that would facilitate routing the oil flow out to the cooler and back in to the engine. The GZ's 250 doesn't have either, afaik.
That's exactly why I started this thread. Somebody out there might know something about the GZ engine that we don't making this a real possibility. I originally had the idea because I've modified air cooled VW engines and the similarities between the DR350 engine and the GZ250. The DR350 uses the frame as an oil cooler. I had given up on the idea long ago as too much of a pain in the ass until I saw the picture of the Chinese knock off that sparked my curiosity once again. That and I just had to spend $330 to fix my cylinder head warping due to overheating.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:04 PM   #18
music man

I think that the Oil Cooler is definitely a viable option for the GZ, you need to find some better specs on that bike or like you said a DR350 or better yet a service manual for one of those bikes would be perfect, it would give you an entire teardown view of the engine. This is one project that I would say to go for, but....... like Easy said, you are taking a HUGE risk that you are going to be starving the engine of oil and there will be no way to know that you are until it is WAY too late, but with enough research into those other engines you should be able to pull it off.
Old 02-21-2009, 01:30 PM   #19
mr. softie

Saw this on the web, thought it was interesting. The poster (Patrick_777)??rode for a while, parked the bike for 2 minutes and took these temps with an infrared thermometer.

Looks like the hottest spot on the motor is the rear top cylinder head (besides the exhaust pipes). I agree an oil cooler would be a good addition.
Old 02-21-2009, 03:37 PM   #20
Quimrider

Send a message via AIM to Quimrider

looking at some pictures from one of Babbob's threads and thumbing thru the service manual. It looks pretty simple and reversible if you decide you don't want it there later. Page 4-11 of the service manual shows a flow chart of the oil system. We would want to located the cooler after the oil pump and before it starts branching out to the crank, clutch and cam shaft. So basically inline just before or after the oil filter. After the oil filter would be ideal but doesn't look practical.

The oil pump is behind that gear just above the curved channel (below and to the right of the clutch). It appears that the output of the oil pump fills this channel.

This channel is where the oil pressure test plug is. This plug could be removed and used for the oil out to the cooler. The channel in the clutch cover going to the oil filter would then have to be plugged. A hole could be drilled in the oil filter cover for the cooler return line.

I think this would work IF my understanding of the oil system is correct. I am slightly confused that in the flow chart it shows a pressure relief bypass of the oil filter. I could not find anything on this anywhere? Is this bypass built into the filter?

Does anyone know what the threads are on the oil pressure test port plug? Also anyone have info / resources for hoses and fittings etc?