Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Performance

Old 06-11-2011, 06:31 PM   #1
geezer

going for it!

ok i want to start messing with the bike now. as for intake i think a simple kn filter will do the job there. my question is the exhaust, i was thinking of moding the stock pipe. i have never seen a aftermarket slip on for it so i figure its the best thing to do. i want to open it up and remove some of the baffles but not al of them, and maybe open up the tip a half inch or so. rather than drilling the holes i just think that looks tacky. so what do you all think about that?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-15-2011, 01:23 PM   #2
MadCityRider

Re: going for it!

Check out the pictures I posted of my "slash downs" here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4645

If you like those, I can tell you how I did them. No welding required, just a radial grinder, and a few other basic tools. They look good, sound great, and in combination with the 16T sprocket, K&N intake, and 130 Main Jet have made this bike very fun to ride (without any of the slow uphill / no top-end negatives I've seen on the forum).

- MCR
Old 06-15-2011, 01:32 PM   #3
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Any universal muffler can be made to fit. I wouldn't alter the headers at all.
Just make a cut where the muffler joins the head pipe, replace the muffler with whatever you choose, but dampen it at least a little bit. Straight pipes are crazy loud...

Also, unless you are ready to go all-in, don't get started. You can't do a half-way job and expect anything but headaches.
Be prepared for trial-and-error jetting and a couple of hiccups along the way.

Old 06-15-2011, 05:56 PM   #4
MadCityRider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan180iq
Any universal muffler can be made to fit. I wouldn't alter the headers at all.
Just make a cut where the muffler joins the head pipe, replace the muffler with whatever you choose, but dampen it at least a little bit. Straight pipes are crazy loud...

Also, unless you are ready to go all-in, don't get started. You can't do a half-way job and expect anything but headaches.
Be prepared for trial-and-error jetting and a couple of hiccups along the way.
Agree with all of this :2tup: This is exactly what I did. The Jardine Muffler I used has a full Baffle in it to compensate for the much wider output. As long as you have some time, and are willing to do a little trial and error, you should be fine.

- MCR
Old 06-15-2011, 07:29 PM   #5
geezer

oh great thank you guys :biggrin: i am going to order the filter tonight for it. and that will take care of the intake side. also i found a pipe on ebay specific for our bike im going to use. its only around 70bucks so that sounds good to me. anyone else got any ideas on cheaper alternatives? the jardine you got doesnt tickle my fancy :lol: no messing with the header at all. and i know i will have some fun messing with jetting, but its not going to be hard at all. im used to inline fours! hahaha so glad i dont have to worry bout sync. i was wanting to go up a tooth in the rear to help with gettingaround at 60mph

Old 06-15-2011, 09:19 PM   #6
geezer

help im havng a touch time deciding on a muffler to use, what have you guys used? also where do i get this kn airfilter?
Old 06-15-2011, 09:28 PM   #7
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer
oh great thank you guys :biggrin: i am going to order the filter tonight for it. and that will take care of the intake side. also i found a pipe on ebay specific for our bike im going to use. its only around 70bucks so that sounds good to me. anyone else got any ideas on cheaper alternatives?
A good alternative is the Hiflo-Filtro HFA-3503 a good flowing filter at about a third of a K & N.The pipe I used was just a universal one with a adjustable baffle.
:cool:

Old 06-15-2011, 11:26 PM   #8
geezer

ok all parts are ordered, i hope i got the right muffler, twas a pain ordering and i just wanted to gt it overwith. anyways carb is now leaking like a lactating nipple so i gotta replace the float bowl gasket yaya! also blaine i ordered that filter too thanks for your help
Old 06-21-2011, 06:58 PM   #9
geezer

and a pain insalling! i didnt want to weld it to the header but looks like im gonna have to. im going to take it to a muffler shop tomorow and get that done. the intake growl is intoxicating! i love hearing it when i get on it. not as excited witht he muffler though. i am so glad its not overly loud though. ill see how it runs tomorow in the sweltering heat hope i can leave the carb alone now
Old 06-21-2011, 07:45 PM   #10
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer
the intake growl is intoxicating! i love hearing it when i get on it.
I liked the sound of the free flowing filter.My 454 with pod filters is really loud!
:cool: :2tup: