Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Performance

Old 06-23-2008, 10:32 PM   #21
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasp72
I'll put a description together and post it.
I'll be very interested in seeing how it ended up for you.
Mine is half done......so I have a left-only beeper that isn't quite loud enough!

Maybe this is the tweek I need to finish it.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-24-2008, 11:13 PM   #22
chasp72

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_777
Quote:
5. turn signal beepers (Radio shack piezos)
I'd be interested in reading a write-up on how you did this. Like ray, I have the problem of not turning my signals off. It's annoying to other drivers and dangerous to me, not to mention embarrassing as hell.
I, too, forget sometimes to turn off my turn signal and this usually helps. I used two Radio Shack Piezo Buzzers (part 273-075) and a triple wire automotive type connector so I could remove the plastic storage area under the seat if necessary. The buzzer has feeds for both a pulsing buzz and a continuous buzz. Be sure to use the wire for the continuous buzz because the turn signal module already provides a pulsing signal

I connected a wire from the negative terminal of the battery to one feed on the back half of the triple connector. (This is shared to feed the negative wires of both left and right buzzers.)

On my GZ250, the positive feed to the right rear turn signal is a light green wire running on the left side of the bike under the seat. The one to the left rear turn signal is solid black along the left side. I used crimp type connectors to tap into these feeds and connected the other ends of the wires to the back half of the triple connector.

The buzzers were attached to the forward part of the plastic storage area under the seat using a glue gun. (Putting them here allowed me to hear it better than when I tried it toward the rear.) The red wire (+) of one of the buzzers gets connected to the front half of the triple connector opposite to the positive feed from one turn signal wire. Same with the red wire from the other buzzer opposite the positive feed from the other turn signal wire. Black wires form both buzzers are tied together and attached to the front half of triple connector so they will make connection with the feed from the negative battery terminal.

Photo of the storage box with buzzers mounted and wired to the triple connector.

This is how it all looks when the storage box is remounted and the connector halves are mated together.

I haven't noticed any change in the brightness of the rear turn signals. I hope this is helpful (and makes sense).

2001 GZ250
Old 06-24-2008, 11:24 PM   #23
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777
Very good write-up. This has been chalked up as my new weekend project.

Old 06-24-2008, 11:50 PM   #24
primal

Send a message via AIM to primal
Ah, just what I needed! I have a difficult time for some reason getting the turn signals to actually turn off. I think it might be the thickness of my gloves.

About how much did this mod cost?
Old 06-25-2008, 12:12 AM   #25
davtnn

suggestion

My suggestion is a wind screen .. a June Bug at 60 miles per hour is no fun (they should be called bug screens here in the south)

Old 06-25-2008, 12:21 AM   #26
davtnn

Walmart

Seems wally world is starting to carry motorcycle stuff .. i bought a large Sissy Bar Bag with all sorts of storage pockets .. a large center bag .. internal frame and a slot for the sissy bar .. for $30 bucks seemed a good deal ... now i just need to get the sissy bar
Old 06-25-2008, 09:24 AM   #27
chasp72

Quote:
Originally Posted by primal
Ah, just what I needed! I have a difficult time for some reason getting the turn signals to actually turn off. I think it might be the thickness of my gloves.

About how much did this mod cost?
Primal,
The buzzers are about $8 each. I don't remember the cost of the connectors, but probably $25 total.

2001 GZ250
Old 06-25-2008, 09:39 AM   #28
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_777
Great writeup. Good engineering too.

I have a slightly different plan.

2-each, Radio Shack 273-059 buzzers, about the size of a quarter, connected back-to-back (physically and electrically) and then mounted to the bottom of the turn signal indicator light.

This is how I have the one mounted now........but then found out I needed a second one and the tiny little one I started with wasn't quite loud enough.

Total cost: About $7.

Hopefully I can get my butt in gear and get more detail ready for "publication" in the next few days.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:07 AM   #29
chasp72

[quote=Easy Rider]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "patrick_777":21q7z9lg
Great writeup. Good engineering too.
I have a slightly different plan.
2-each, Radio Shack 273-059 buzzers, about the size of a quarter, connected back-to-back (physically and electrically) and then mounted to the bottom of the turn signal indicator light.
This is how I have the one mounted now........but then found out I needed a second one and the tiny little one I started with wasn't quite loud enough.
Total cost: About $7.
Hopefully I can get my butt in gear and get more detail ready for "publication" in the next few days.[/quote:21q7z9lg]

I'd like to see how you did this. It would leave less mess below the seat.

2001 GZ250
Old 06-25-2008, 11:39 AM   #30
Easy Rider

Quote:
I'd like to see how you did this. It would leave less mess below the seat.
It leaves NO mess below the seat....

With the little buzzer it was pretty easy. IIRC, I soldered some longer, thicker wires on, and bent them to match the bottom of the light socket and shoved them into the rubber boot where the wires go. Held in place with a strip of electrician's tape.

This worked fine, except as noted, that the dime sized buzzer isn't loud enough (for my old ears) and because of the polarity switch, it only works in one direction. I killed my battery before I figured that part out.

I'm gonna try for some pic's but it's gonna be tough to see in there.