Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Performance

Old 06-24-2008, 11:29 AM   #11
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Tires

There aren't many tire options for our bike that come in a matching set. There are, however, many options if you don't mind mixing up tire brands and/or going to a slightly smaller tire up front.

The factory tires sizes are: 110/90-16 (F) & 130/90-15 (R)

The rim width for the front wheel is 2.5" and the rear wheel width is 3.0"
That being the case, a size 100/90-16 front tire will work on this bike. It does have an overall diameter decrease of 9mm over the 110/90-16 but that isn't really very drastic. I have no personal experience. But, I do plan on using this slightly smaller profile front tire when I change over to a new set of tires.

Factory replacement tires: 110/90-16 & 130/90-15
Dunlop D404
Cheng Shin C906 & C907

Rear Factory Replacements:
Kenda Challenger
Pirelli MT66
Maxxis M6103
Cheng Shin Marquis
Metzeler Me 77

Factory Replacement Front:
Avon Roadrider
GBC Green Shark
Metzler Lasertec

100/90-16 Front:
Bridgestone BT45
Maxxis M6002
Cheng Shin C6000
Kenda Cruiser
IRC Durotour

Matching tires with low profile front: 100/91-16 & 130/90-15
Kenda Cruiser

These are the tires that I'm looking at for future purchase. They should be a higher quality than the Cheng Shin's and offer at least a third option for those who want to try something apart from factory tires.

This list is not complete but it is what I have compiled while searching over the last couple of days.
If someone want to try the 100/90-16 front before me, let me know.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-24-2008, 01:19 PM   #12
Sarris

Tire sizes

FYI;

Tire sizes are stated as follows:
The first number is width in millimeters. The number after the slash is sidewall height stated as a percentage of the tread width.
The last is the rim size (diameter) in inches.

Thus a 110/90 is 110 mm wide and has a 99 mm tall sidewall. Also a 100/90 is 100 mm wide and has a 90 mm tall sidewall. (7mm is close to 1/4")
So it is actually narrower as well as shorter in sidewall height and may affect your speedo reading.

As I said in a previous post, I put a Pirelli Route on the rear ($107.65) and a Pirelli Sport Demon ($90.57) on the front. (the Route model was not available in the correct front size)

I'm very happy with them.

:2tup:

PS to Jonathan: Are you going to make up a thread listing all known compatible parts? I think that is a great idea !!
Old 06-24-2008, 02:00 PM   #13
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Well, I had been doing that here since that is what Orpheus asked for. I had been using this post as a base. I may compile everything into one, easy to find area.

Will you post some more info on those Pirelli's? I didn't list them probably because I just hadn't come across them yet.

Did you go with the smaller front or what?
Also, since you actually have them, how about a photo?

Thanks man,
Jonathan

Old 06-24-2008, 03:20 PM   #14
Sarris

Pirelli Tires

The Pirelli tires are stock sizes (110/90-16 Front & 130/90-15 Rear) Here are the photos.

Front Tire Sidewall

Front Tire Tread

Rear Tire Sidewall

Rear Tire Tread

Let me know if you need any more info.

Old 06-24-2008, 04:29 PM   #15
Orpheus

Sarris: those Pirellis look nice. Might have to look in to those when it's time for a change.
Jonathan: good idea about making a separate thread with everything edited down, that way we can keep this one open for discussion and then have all the links or whatever in one place.

Here's something I found that is a universal-type fit, but might interest people as an aftermarket accessory: http://www.jpcycles.com/productgroup.as ... 8B42954BF5
I've been looking for floorboards (driver and passenger) for a while and these seem to be able to fit on the GZ. I'm kind of confused because it says that they fit all late models with a clevis-style footpeg, and it's found on the Metric Cruiser page, but then specifically excludes a bunch of Harley bikes. Y'all think this is just the generic write-up for the metric and Harley advertisements and that's why it's like that or is something else going on? I'll probably order these in the next week or two (depending on the general consensus here about the "universal" application of them) and give a little write-up in a separate thread.

Edit: okay, I just looked up the floorboards on the Harley page (here: http://www.jpcycles.com/productgroup.as ... F47475BDA0 )and the write-up is different. Anybody have an idea what's going on here?

Old 06-24-2008, 08:06 PM   #16
Sarris

Floorboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarris
I bought a set of these (for the 250 Marauder) from the UK. They did fit great, but they were not for me and I sold them. Also, they were not cheap, but they were superbly made & were structurally excellent. These are the only ones I could find to fit the GZ.
http://www.hac-products.com/Pages/Drive ... oards.html
Here is the link to floorboard discussion on this site that includes the above thread.
http://www.gz250bike.com/viewtopic.php?t=353&highlight=

:chop:
Old 06-24-2008, 10:19 PM   #17
music man

Does anyone Know a good place to look at a wide variety of 7/8" handlebars. I found some I really liked on J.C. Whitney last

night, only to be shot down when i found out they were 1" bars.

Thanks, Later
Old 06-24-2008, 10:22 PM   #18
Sarris

7/8" Handlebars

Here you go bro. A shizit load of 7/8" handlebars. I would suggest the un-knurled (not knurled)

http://www.sideroadcycles.com/Import...dlebars78.html

:2tup:
Old 06-25-2008, 02:11 AM   #19
Orpheus

Re: Floorboards

Quote:
Quote:
I bought a set of these (for the 250 Marauder) from the UK. They did fit great, but they were not for me and I sold them. Also, they were not cheap, but they were superbly made & were structurally excellent. These are the only ones I could find to fit the GZ.
http://www.hac-products.com/Pages/Drive ... oards.html
Here is the link to floorboard discussion on this site that includes the above thread.
http://www.gz250bike.com/viewtopic.php?t=353&highlight=

:chop:
I read through that thread one time, but I think those ones that I mentioned earlier might fit without modification and are a hell of a lot cheaper than most (only like $40). I'll probably try them and see what I think; I'm not really expecting much for the price, but if they fit and I just don't like them I could still use them as passenger boards. I'll keep y'all updated.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:01 AM   #20
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Tachometer

Any dual fire electronic tachometer will work on this little bike.

For a nice write-up on how to install one, see the Quimrider's post linked below.

http://www.gz250bike.com/viewtopic.php?t=533