Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 08-03-2007, 04:07 PM   #11
Quimrider

Send a message via AIM to Quimrider
Interesting I wonder what other differences there are between the model years. Mine is a 2000 and I'm almost sure it doesn't have a rev limiter. I about loaded my pants when I was playing with the new tach and saw it rev way past the 8K mark. Not ALL electronic ignitions have rev limiters. Although I'd believe about 99% of them do. I converted my air cooled VW to a solid state electronic ignition system and I am certain it has no rev limiter of any sort. The tach I have on that goes up to 8K RPM and bad things start to happen to an aircooled VW engine when you get much above 4000 RPM

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-04-2007, 11:46 AM   #12
Badbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime
The GZ250 revs up to around 9000 rpm until the rev limiter stops the ignition. At least my 2006 unit has limiter, as all electronic ignition vehicles (injected and carburated).
It's not good to run for a while at highest rpm, but there's no problem if you shift up when the rev limiter acts; it's there just to protect the motor of overreving.
Do you know there is a rev limiter? How?

Do you have schematics that show one or a service manual?
Old 08-05-2007, 06:59 PM   #13
Jaime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimrider
Interesting I wonder what other differences there are between the model years. Mine is a 2000 and I'm almost sure it doesn't have a rev limiter. I about loaded my pants when I was playing with the new tach and saw it rev way past the 8K mark. Not ALL electronic ignitions have rev limiters. Although I'd believe about 99% of them do. I converted my air cooled VW to a solid state electronic ignition system and I am certain it has no rev limiter of any sort. The tach I have on that goes up to 8K RPM and bad things start to happen to an aircooled VW engine when you get much above 4000 RPM
Transistorized ignition doesn't limit the max revolutions. It's used in older GZ250s.
The full electronic ignition "chip" can be programmed to stop the ignition at certain revs, it's not an independent system, so if you adapted a kit to your VW it won't have the limiter pre-set.

To check if your bike has rev limiter, you simply have to run on a leveled terrain on 3rd shift till it wouldn't accelerate anymore, just a couple of seconds. If it reaches relatively constant rpms, it doesn't have limiter. If it does a regular oscilation like , it's the rev limiter. When it acts, the initial feeling is like you were out of gasoline.

Old 08-06-2007, 10:11 PM   #14
Quimrider

Send a message via AIM to Quimrider
Yup that is what a rev limiter does. Depending on the vehicle it will either cut the ignition or the fuel (fuel injected vehicles.)
Old 11-25-2022, 10:33 PM   #15
riceboy131

I have had my gz 250 for about two years now and so far I have formed the habit of shifting at wot when it won't rev any higher and I guess I probably shouldn't do that even though it's a trooper and haven't blown up YET