Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips

Old 01-25-2009, 12:42 AM   #1
alanmcorcoran

Full vs three quarter

I'm thinking about picking up a second, three-quarter size helmet for the commute to the office and short rides around town. On a scientific basis, I'm aware that this is probably not a good idea as pretty much everything I've ever read says: 1) you get in as many accidents just popping out for a quick errand as you do on a gnarly tour and 2) always wear all the gear all the time, fool!

Nonetheless, I don't wear the armored Batman pants into the office already (wranglers) and, the 3/4 would save me from the whole eyeglass dance and allow me to finish my coffee before I head out in the am. Besides, my ski helmet is a three quarter type - not sure they even sell the full monty. Back (in the Jurassic period) when I rode the scooter I had a three quarter as well.

Seeing how it's winter and all, and this is a nice polarizing, emotional (and absolutely for real!) topic, I thought I'd throw this chum in the water and get your collective wisdom. (I'd still go full battle rattle for extended rides, canyon twisties, freeway, etc.)

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 01-25-2009, 04:53 AM   #2
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo
Re: Full vs three quarter

Nothin wrong with a 3/4 helmet. Go for it.

I have a full face, 3/4, 1/2 DOT helmets and my non DOT german helmet. I'm covered for anything lol.

Full face is for those sub zero nights or rain, 3/4 just sits cuz i look like a sped in it. 1/2 helmet is for if i have to go into Jersey (helmet laws there) and the german one is for fun ... everyone says i look pissed off when i wear it, like im going to rip someones head off. I dont see it .. lol. Maybe i'll post a pic

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook
Old 01-25-2009, 05:29 AM   #3
alantf

Hi Alan,
I've never worn anything else but a 3/4. Never had any problems. Goes on o.k. with glasses on. Only thing I've found (this helmet is 4 years old) is that the lining has worn through where the glasses arms rub - but no problem as such, & I suppose it could happen with any type of helmet.
The helmet I've got is an Aeroh, & the visor slides up under the peak to protect it. This is a nice touch, but sometimes the wind gets under the peak at highway speed, & I've got to really concentrate on stopping it pushing my head back.

Old 01-25-2009, 07:06 AM   #4
5th_bike

How about full with flip up front ? Makes putting on your glasses so much easier.
Procedure:
1) flip up front
2) put helmet on head
3) flip down front.
You can just keep your glasses on during this.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:17 AM   #5
Sarris

Alan, I wear a DOT Harley 1/2 police style helmut (sic) and a 3/4 when it's too damn cold for my Florida ears. 99% of the time it's my half. My biggest bitch with the full face is that it obscures your vision in all directions making you have to REALLY turn your head, you can't hear shit with it on (I needs my stereo!!), and it's hotter than two mice screwing in a wool sock.

Helmut is the Norwegian that invented the skull bucket. FYI

:2tup:

Old 01-25-2009, 10:14 AM   #6
music man

http://www.fulmerhelmets.com/Product/af655.html

Hey alan, this is the helmet i wear, it is very nice, I am like Sarris I feel like a full-face inhibits MY vision to the point of being dangerous, so I got this helmet. I realize that it is not quite as protective as a Full-face but I weighed the option of not being able to see and giving up a little bit of safety and took the latter route.

I used to wear a Beanie Style Helmet (AKA the Brain Bucket), but I have at least partially turned over a new safer leaf, Plus like Sarris said, the weather is rough on you in a Half Helmet, I even like the 3/4 helmet with a tinted face shield in the summer over the Beanie style, It is actually COOLER believe it or not.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:34 AM   #7
Sarris

My 3/4 is a Nolan N-100. Light weight, great vents, visor, and tilt-up sheild w/ multi-position ratchet mechanism. Just be aware that Italians must have small heads, as Nolan helmets run really small. I wear a XXX. It doesn't get much use.

:whistle:
Old 01-25-2009, 10:50 AM   #8
dan_

Send a message via AIM to dan_

Quote:
1/2 helmet is for if i have to go into Jersey (helmet laws there)
What's with this law? Can you not wear a full face? Or is this just you rebeling because they make you wear a helmet?
Old 01-25-2009, 11:10 AM   #9
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_
What's with this law? Can you not wear a full face? Or is this just you rebeling because they make you wear a helmet?
IIRC, he wears "none of the above" most of the time.....as I do for short trips around town.

P.S. Does your brain run in OVERDRIVE all the time ?? :biggrin:
Old 01-25-2009, 11:33 AM   #10
dan_

Send a message via AIM to dan_

Im a 19 year old rock star wannabe that rides a motorcycle and quotes fear and loathing in las vegas there's a reason for my lack of brain cells.
:rawk: