Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips

Old 12-28-2009, 04:31 PM   #11
burkbuilds

Re: New Jacket.

Thanks for the link Patrick. I just ordered a Rainier Jacket from them. I have a nice winter jacket except it isn't waterproof, which has presented me with the choice of riding warm for a while then getting wet and having to dry out my winter jacket later or riding in a liner with rain gear on top, which isn't always warm enough. This jacket should solve that situation and $99 was a great price in my opinion!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 12-28-2009, 05:50 PM   #12
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

Don't forget that you can take the liner out and use it as a wind/water breaker on its own. It's awesome. Hope you like it.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:06 PM   #13
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_777
Don't forget that you can take the liner out and use it as a wind/water breaker on its own. It's awesome. Hope you like it.
But not a cold wind. The material is breathable. Already found that out. It will breath much better than my JR textile jacket.

Old 12-28-2009, 08:31 PM   #14
greenhorn

For the women... I ordered but wound up returning this jacket for n other reason than I wanted a neon green mesh instead. But the fit was right on and the jacket VERY well made. Just had to let it go but would highly, highly recommend to the ladies!!!

Mary
Old 12-30-2009, 03:24 PM   #15
burkbuilds

My First Gear Jacket just arrived! Wow, that was fast shipping. This seems to be a really great jacket, well, I guess I'll just have to go out for a ride and test it now!

Old 12-30-2009, 06:44 PM   #16
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkbuilds
My First Gear Jacket just arrived! Wow, that was fast shipping. This seems to be a really great jacket, well, I guess I'll just have to go out for a ride and test it now!
So of course we need a ride report and evaluation of the jacket.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:25 PM   #17
burkbuilds

Ride Report on the new 1st Gear Jacket: Today I rode from Atlanta to the Chattanooga area wearing my new First Gear Jacket. Temperature 39 - 43 degrees during the ride, Foggy, slight mist, no sunshine, two hour ride. First, the jacket is heavy, about the weight of my good leather jacket, but it is not as restrictive in movement as my leather jacket nor is it as restrictive as my "summer" armored jacket. This jacket uses a new technology for the armor, it is very flexible and comfortable while you move at normal speed, if the armor is moved suddenly (like an impact)it's molecules link together almost instantly to protect you, as soon as the movement returns to a slower speed, the molecules "unlink" and you get the flexibility back, very cool! With my other jacket I removed the armor because it was to cumbersome, not the case with this jacket. Secondly, this jacket is waterproof, so I didn't have to choose between a warm jacket and a dry rain suit jacket today which was nice.
Warmth: I wore my heated liner underneath, but I never needed to turn it on, that has not been the case with my other Winter jacket even though I was wearing two more layers with my old jacket and I decided to just wear a tank top and a t-shirt today. Normally I will have a long sleeve thermal and a lined long sleeve flannel shirt on as well. I was very comfortable even after two hours of riding, the only thing I did use was my heated grips to keep my hands comfortable. I was very pleased with this jacket and I'd recommend it to anyone who plans on riding in cooler weather!
Thanks again to Patrick for the link to the closeout prices, I checked the MSRP on this jacket at the manufacturer's website and it lists for $499.00 which is way, way , way out of my price range, but $99.00 was a bargain!
If you are into having lots of pockets and zipper places, you will be happy with this jacket. I've never seen so many pouches and cubby holes to put stuff in, and most of them are waterproof too! There's even a pouch on the back and a place to hook up a battery operated light to make you more visible (they sell the light for about $10).
You can remove the liner for use by itself or so you can wear the outer part without the liner in warmer weather. This thing has built in vents you can open up to increase the ventilation for warm weather riding too. The jacket is extremely wind proof too! I didn't feel any drafts during my ride and it was comfortable to wear.
I have to give this jacket top ratings all around, I was very impressed and if you are looking to replace an older jacket or get your first winter riding jacket you could not do any better than this one especially if you can snag it for $99!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYBODY!!!!
Old 01-01-2010, 01:08 AM   #18
Water Warrior 2

BB, that is a well written report. Got one question though. Did you leave in the jacket liner ? I am assuming you did or you would have felt a bit chilled. The outer shell is breathable and waterproof but the inner liner is both waterproof and wind proof.
I was tempted to order one but the credit card took a beating this year so I will wait to see what happens next year during closeout days.
Old 01-01-2010, 01:21 AM   #19
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

I wore just the inner liner as a jacket the other day and I can tell you, for certain, that it is not breathable. That thing was like a sauna. However, at speed in cold air, it is SO very nice to have in.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:11 AM   #20
greenhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_777
For everyone, Motorcycle Superstore has FirstGear TPG Ranier Jackets on clearance for $99.
They are down to $69. At least in the women's version .... One is on its way to my house!!!!
OH. I see I posted earlier. Thought .... and ... BOUGHT!!! :2tup:
M