Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips

Old 10-10-2011, 08:43 PM   #1

Shifting Gears / Clutch / Transmission --- How to operate

Hello --

Some of you may remember me for asking for help on how to get my GZ 250 running. After months of delays (had to leave for military training, new school) I finally brought it to a shop to get fixed. The carb had to be cleaned and that was that.

I just started riding recently on the bike but I have been practicing on a motorscooter before that. I never realized how much more complicated the clutch makes things.

I still don't seem to understand how the clutch / shifting gears works. I have read the users' manual (pg 29-30) and read various articles online, but have yet to find some comprehensive explanation for how shifting gears works.

I have many more questions as I learn more, but here are the first few I have:

1. Does pushing the shift lever down ALWAYS put the bike into first gear (whether it is currently in 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or 5th? Or does pushing the shift lever down only move the gear down one (for example from 3rd to 2nd, or 5th to 4th)?

2. When I try to start up the bike sometimes, I engage the throttle and release the clutch.. If I release the clutch too soon the entire bike turns off. I know I am supposed to release the clutch slowly and am still learning to, but is the bike SUPPOSED TO TOTALLY turn off if I make this mistake?

3. How do I shift up while in first gear? Can I just pull the clutch, push the shift lever up twice, release the clutch, and it will be in third gear? Or do I have to pull clutch, shift lever up, release clutch, pull clutch, shift lever up, release clutch, to get it in third gear? Do I have to pull and release the clutch for each gear I shift? Or can I shift it multiple times for one pull/release of the clutch?

Thank you.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-10-2011, 09:56 PM   #2
JWR

Re: Shifting Gears / Clutch / Transmission --- How to operat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7653
Hello --

I have many more questions as I learn more, but here are the first few I have:

1. Does pushing the shift lever down ALWAYS put the bike into first gear (whether it is currently in 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or 5th? Or does pushing he shift lever down only move the gear down one (for example from 3rd to 2nd, or 5th to 4th)?
YES

2. When I try to start up the bike sometimes, I engage the throttle and release the clutch.. If I release the clutch too soon the entire bike turns off. I know I am supposed to release the clutch slowly and am still learning to, but is the bike SUPPOSED TO TOTALLY turn off if I make this mistake?

Make sure the kickstand is up.
Sit on the bike and ease off of the clutch, then pull in back in to get a feel of when it catches and moves forward

3. How do I shift up while in first gear? Can I just pull the clutch, push the shift lever up twice, release the clutch, and it will be in third gear? Or do I have to pull clutch, shift lever up, release clutch, pull clutch, shift lever up, release clutch, to get it in third gear? Do I have to pull and release the clutch for each gear I shift? Or can I shift it multiple times for one pull/release of the clutch?

Yes each gear is a separate action.

Thank you.

Truth is there are lots of great bikes available
and not nearly as many good riders out there riding them...
"A man's got to know his limitations..."
Old 10-10-2011, 10:12 PM   #3
Water Warrior 2

If you haven't already be sure to pick up a copy of Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough. His knowledge and experience is great.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:17 PM   #4
Rookie Rider

And take a first time learners course........... fast !!
Old 10-10-2011, 10:28 PM   #5
5th_bike

Quote:
. When I try to start up the bike sometimes, I engage the throttle and release the clutch.. If I release the clutch too soon the entire bike turns off. I know I am supposed to release the clutch slowly and am still learning to, but is the bike SUPPOSED TO TOTALLY turn off if I make this mistake?
Well it's not "supposed" to, but it just happens - you see, the clutch couples the engine to the wheel. if the wheel is not turning and the engine does not produce sufficient power to get it going (when you release the clutch too soon) the engine will stop working below a certain rpm.
Quote:
Do I have to pull and release the clutch for each gear I shift? Or can I shift it multiple times for one pull/release of the clutch?
Only when you are slowing down fast, you can hold the clutch in and downshift several times i.e. you don't have to release the clutch after going from 5 to 4, 4 to 3, 3 to 2 etc. But each shift is a separate foot action.
The gear you're in should always match your speed though - you don't want to be going down the road driving 50 mph with the clutch in and in 2nd gear because if you should accidentally release the clutch, the rear wheel will slip and you will loose control over the bike.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:08 PM   #6
mrlmd1

Read the owner's manual.
Take an MSF course.
Get all the gear - helmet, armored jacket, gloves.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:47 AM   #7

I just wanted to restate what I read to make sure I am understanding the answers to my questions correctly (please correct me if I misunderstood) and add some follow up questions:

1. Yes, pushing the shift lever down ALWAYS makes you go into first gear. For example, you can go from fifth gear, push down the shift lever once, and go to first gear.

2. Practice gently releasing the clutch to stop the engine from turning off. Follow-up question: Ummm, the thing I fear most is: What if I am eventually a proficient rider, I go on a big road/intersection and I release the clutch too soon while starting the bike? I fear the engine turning off and getting myself screwed. Do any of you have any experience with this?

3. Yes, I have to pull and release the clutch for EACH gear I go up.

Follow-up question for 5th bike: Your answer to this doesn't make sense to me. I thought I just got told by JWR (see his post above) that pushing the shift lever down ALWAYS puts your gear into first, even if it is from fifth gear. If this is true, then how is it possible to go from fifth gear to fourth, fourth to third?

Thanks.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:51 AM   #8
alantf

NO!!!!!!!!!!!

Each push up moves to the next higher gear.

Each push down moves to the next lower gear.

The only exception to this is 1st to 2nd, and 2nd to 1st, which will need 2 pushes, as neutral is a position between them.

Don't forget to ALWAYS set off in 1st, increase the revs (and hence, speed) then shift up the gears, one by one, progressively, until you get to the speed/gear that you need. :2tup:
Old 10-11-2011, 07:43 AM   #9
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf

The only exception to this is 1st to 2nd, and 2nd to 1st, which will need 2 pushes, as neutral is a position between them.
:??: You can go from 1st to 2nd with one push and 2nd to 1st with one push.The tricky part is finding neutral.It is much easier to find neutral by gently lifting up from 1st till the green neutral light comes on.It is very easy to bypass neutral & go into 2nd gear.
:cool:

Old 10-11-2011, 10:16 AM   #10
mrlmd1

You will not learn this effectively from asking questions like you have been doing on a forum like this. Find the nearest Motorcycle Safety Foundation basic motorcycling course and take it ASAP, unless you want to seriously hurt yourself and your bike. From your questions you have almost no knowledge of how any of this works and you need hands on, in person instruction from a qualified, certified instructor, not grasping for help on here. And read - WW's suggestion of Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough is one of the best places to start.