Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 05-02-2009, 10:44 AM   #11
Easy Rider

Re: is there a way to remove the seat without the key?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIBTEXHNKA
and i picked up a key blank from the dealer so i'll get a copy made as soon as i find the original.
I was going to say "Take it to a locksmith"......but DUH, the only key is MIA !!
If you get desperate, the locksmith will come to YOU.....for a fee, of course.....and pick the lock to get inside. I'm guessing that the tumblers on the seat are not as complicated as the ignition.

What's plan B......incase the key is NOT under the seat....(aw, crap, I just HAD to bring that up, didn't I ???) :biggrin:

Oh, and another option is to ask the dealer or locksmith to look up the "key code" given the VIN of the bike. Oddly enough, some dealers don't know how to do that....or won't admit it. Might need to show proof of ownership to have that done....as in, the title in your name.

Good luck!!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-02-2009, 11:39 PM   #12
JIBTEXHNKA

Send a message via AIM to JIBTEXHNKA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
What's plan B......incase the key is NOT under the seat....(aw, crap, I just HAD to bring that up, didn't I ???) :biggrin:

Oh, and another option is to ask the dealer or locksmith to look up the "key code" given the VIN of the bike. Oddly enough, some dealers don't know how to do that....or won't admit it. Might need to show proof of ownership to have that done....as in, the title in your name.

Good luck!!
Plan B is to see if the dealer can get the key code, or possibly tell em how to get it (i was told by one locksmith that it's underneath the ignition barrel?). plan C is to get a locksmith out here, but like you said, that isn't free.

plan right-now is to go keep trying to get the seat off. and find some metric wrenches.
Old 05-03-2009, 06:40 AM   #13
JIBTEXHNKA

i got the seat off... no key! life sucks.

i've got a friend with a trailer so i think i'm gonna bring it to a locksmith tomorrow and have them do their thing. i'm sick of sunny weather with no bike! and i'd drive my jeep topless but it's in the process of getting a new engine. i have bad luck with vehicles.

Old 05-17-2009, 03:16 PM   #14
Goose

Quote:
i got the seat off... no key! life sucks.

i've got a friend with a trailer so i think i'm gonna bring it to a locksmith tomorrow and have them do their thing. i'm sick of sunny weather with no bike! and i'd drive my jeep topless but it's in the process of getting a new engine. i have bad luck with vehicles.
Don't you have 2 Jeeps? :biggrin: Getting a new engine in the CJ I assume...

Any update? Did you get a new key made?
Old 06-09-2009, 04:47 PM   #15
JIBTEXHNKA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose

Don't you have 2 Jeeps? :biggrin: Getting a new engine in the CJ I assume...

Any update? Did you get a new key made?

ha, yeah. i do. the CJ's so far gone i don't even want to talk about it. the engine is actually in great shape, go figure. everything else is falling apart. want to buy it? :biggrin:

i bought the YJ and three weeks later it threw a rod, hence the new engine (and radiator, and water pump, and the list goes on and on). now i just cracked the transfer case because i hit something too hard and i have a busted tranny mount (not to mention worthless shocks) so it smashed into something and dumped the fluid all over. did i mention i had bad luck with vehicles? i'm putting in a bitchin upgraded one so it's not a total loss, but this jeep thing is getting expensive. i might actually have to sell the GZ just because i don't get the chance to ride very much anymore... but let's not get too drastic just yet.

as far as the key goes - i bought a blank from the dealer (for $15 or something ridiculous) and my friendly neighborhood ACE hardware cut it for free, probably because i'm in there every other day giving them my hard-earned money. i stashed the original somewhere safe and now i'm just using the spare. so it's all good. thanks for all the advice!

EDIT: i should have mentioned... i found the key in the pocket of a jacket hanging in the garage. i got the spare made so i won't have to worry about it ever again

Old 06-09-2009, 09:24 PM   #16
Water Warrior 2

The spare key thing is a real life saver now and again. Want to get spares to stash on our bikes too. We do have 2 keys each but they are all on a big honking key ring at home normally. So I have been going to the locksmith here on a daily routine hoping to catch him at the shop. It is a one man operation and he is usually out on a call when I check in. Patience Grasshopper.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:40 PM   #17
Easy Rider

Quote:
i stashed the original somewhere safe and now i'm just using the spare.
Just a tiny bit of "sage" advice from an old fart:

You might want to consider putting a second (or third) key on your key-ring that you always have with you because:

1) If you are away from home, the key you use on the bike can magically disappear.....down a drain or in a lake, etc.
AND

2) As more moons pass in your life, you will find that things you stashed away in safe places are now "lost" because you can't remember where those safe places ARE any more!
Old 06-10-2009, 02:39 PM   #18
Water Warrior 2

Safe places and "Old Guy Syndrome" can be frustrating. Just yesterday I was looking for something before I left for the day(can't remember what it was)and finally found it in my hand. Might have been my helmet. LOL.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:22 PM   #19
music man

Well something great did come out of this thread though, we now know that if you need to get the seat off without the key and without destroying anything, it can be done!!!!!