Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > GZ250 Media

Old 03-18-2012, 05:28 PM   #1
vikz250

My GZ250 2009..

Well hello folks! Finally got her home last tuesday and was able to PASS my permit (after a couple of tries LOL ).I'm happy to say that I have riden close to 30 miles around my block ( my neighbors probably thought i was a little silly to just go around in circle hehehe) and have experienced 2 instances of me "dumping" my bike (ouch!!). The 1st one was I made a mistake of changing 1st to 2nd gear while turning!! hard lesson to learn, my "GeeZee" was fine just a little mark on the left side mirror(untociable), The 2nd one was I was practicing slow curving turn and i was on 2nd gear and my engine stalled , lost my balanced and ended up "dumping" again but very slowly though not like a wild dump so GeeZee is ok again! (thank goodness!!) but a tiny amount of gasoline sorta/kinda leaked to the tank but no harm done just dried it really well and i rode more..So anyway I am loving it inspite of very minor incidents, I just need to get use to shifting my gears and no slow turning yet for me..here is me and my lovely GeeZee with my riding gears. I added the spitfire windshield last night and saving some money for a decent saddle bags..

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-18-2012, 05:55 PM   #2
blaine

Re: My GZ250 2009..

Nice!!!! Just a note.When in slow turns,you should stay in 1st gear.you will find the bike easier to control and less chance of staling.Good luck & safe riding.
:2tup:

Old 03-18-2012, 08:22 PM   #3
ironhead1530

Eventually, you will get used to "feathering" the throttle and turns will get much easier. I started on a scooter, and the first ride, I got a little case of whiskey throttle and drove it out the driveway.... straight across the street into a small ditch with water in it. All in front of my in-laws. Yeah...

Old 03-18-2012, 08:46 PM   #4
Water Warrior 2

Always nice to see a smiling face on a GZ. Did we mention getting a copy of Proficient Motorcycling. The book will give you some very good pointers about low speed turns and proper control while in tight spaces. After reading the book you will be amazed at the ease of proper cornering. Once you understand the different forces involved in the front end geometry you will find the GZ(or any other bike)very easy to manuever with confidence.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:06 PM   #5
Rionna

Congrats on your new bike. You will get the hang of it real soon. Be safe and enjoy!

Old 03-18-2012, 10:25 PM   #6
vikz250

Thanks guys! Yah I need more ride time before I go ride on a busy road because I can go to 2ng gear or 3rd no problems its the going down a gear or 2 that i am having issues..
Old 03-19-2012, 05:05 PM   #7
mole2

Have you taken a safety course such as the MSF BRC (Motorcycle Safety Foundation Basic Riders Course)? In there you'll learn the clutch is your friend. When making slow turns you can ride the friction point of the clutch for control. The clutch on your motorcycle is a wet clutch and nothing like an automobile clutch where you don't want to ride the friction point. As mentioned previously you should work in 1st gear for slow turns. A couple of things to be aware of is to look where you want to go (even if you have to reposition yourself in the saddle) and never hit the front brake with the wheel turned.

By the way, you have a nice ride there. The black ones are the fastest. I know, I had one. :biggrin:

Old 03-19-2012, 05:14 PM   #8
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole2
Have you taken a safety course such as the MSF BRC (Motorcycle Safety Foundation Basic Riders Course)? In there you'll learn the clutch is your friend. When making slow turns you can ride the friction point of the clutch for control. The clutch on your motorcycle is a wet clutch and nothing like an automobile clutch where you don't want to ride the friction point. As mentioned previously you should work in 1st gear for slow turns. A couple of things to be aware of is to look where you want to go (even if you have to reposition yourself in the saddle) and never hit the front brake with the wheel turned.

By the way, you have a nice ride there. The black ones are the fastest. I know, I had one. :biggrin:

Yes, look where you want to go. Do not look where the front wheel is or where you want the front wheel to be. Keep the head up so you don't loose the view of the horizon.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:45 PM   #9
vikz250

I will be taking the class in April, i just wanted to get use to riding since I have never riden a motorcycle before beside a scooter and regular bicycles..and yah heard about the black being the fastest too LOL..