Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Ride Reports & Meets

Old 03-29-2012, 06:03 PM   #1
dentheman

Nice, relaxed ride

It is 90 degrees now, but earlier when it was cooler, I went for a nice relaxing ride. I rode to a little town north of Lubbock, called New Deal. Then I turned east onto a country hiway I had never rode or driven on before. It was a two-laner with hardly any traffic but some long curves and a few 'roller-coaster' humps. I had no destination in mind, I just rode for the fun of it. If I got lost in the boonies, 'so what?' I knew the general direction to home, and that I would eventually run into a main hiway. It was my most enjoyable ride yet, and I feel that I finally 'bonded' with my bike; now I trust her to get me home no matter where I go. This ride has boosted my confidence in my own riding skills.

Tomorrow it is only going to get into the 80's and I am going to do it again on a different road.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-29-2012, 06:22 PM   #2
JWR

Re: Nice, relaxed ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentheman
It is 90 degrees now, but earlier when it was cooler, I went for a nice relaxing ride. I rode to a little town north of Lubbock, called New Deal. Then I turned east onto a country hiway I had never rode or driven on before. It was a two-laner with hardly any traffic but lots of long curves and a few 'roller-coaster' humps. I had no destination in mind, I just rode for the fun of it. If I got lost in the boonies, 'so what?' I knew the general direction to home, and that I would eventually run into a main hiway. It was my most enjoyable ride yet, and I feel that I finally 'bonded' with my bike; now I trust her to get me home no matter where I go. This ride has boosted my confidence in my own riding skills.

Tomorrow it is only going to get into the 80's and I am going to do it again on a different road.

That usually goes hand in hand.
:2tup:

Truth is there are lots of great bikes available
and not nearly as many good riders out there riding them...
"A man's got to know his limitations..."
Old 03-29-2012, 07:19 PM   #3
Rionna

I just love to get on The Beast and ride. No destination just enjoying the ride. I wish I had 80 degree weather. 40 degrees here in Ohio. Waiting on the warm up. Enjoy & Be Safe!

Old 03-29-2012, 11:08 PM   #4
dentheman

Being born and raised in Wisconsin, I know all about the winters up north. Luckily, I have been able to spend my adult life in warmer climates (more or less).
Old 03-31-2012, 03:11 PM   #5
cayuse

Those 'no destination' rides are the best.
Maybe if I owned a performance sports car it would be different, but I've never taken my cage out for 'drive to nowhere in particular'.
Ride on!

2005 GZ250 (sold after 26000km)
2013 CB500XA

Old 03-31-2012, 06:27 PM   #6
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cayuse
I've never taken my cage out for 'drive to nowhere in particular'.
You don't know what you are missing. I was stuck for a destination for my vacation one time. Looked outside and saw which direction the birds were flying. South worked well for me. Got home 2 1/2 weeks later with a smile and lots of memories.
Staying closer to home is fun too. I tend to get lost a lot in the Greater Vancouver Region but I always find my way home after an outing and discovering new places.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:49 PM   #7
cayuse

WW, you just reminded me my wife and I used to take the car out for random drives out into the countryside when we lived in southern Ontario. Back there you could just pick a direction and go. Then kids came along and we moved back to BC and left that pastime behind. Maybe when the kids have moved away we'll pick it up again (maybe even 2-up!)

2005 GZ250 (sold after 26000km)
2013 CB500XA
Old 03-31-2012, 10:08 PM   #8
burkbuilds

You guys are all right. The best trips on the bike are just take off and navigate by the seat of your pants. I love it when I have the time to just go ride with no destination in mind. It's amazing what you find "out there" and it always inspires me and makes me feel great just riding around and seeing things for the first time in places I didn't really know existed at all. I have done a little of this in a "cage" a few times but it doesn't compare to doing it on a bike. Glad you've found this out for your self.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:12 PM   #9
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cayuse
WW, you just reminded me my wife and I used to take the car out for random drives out into the countryside when we lived in southern Ontario. Back there you could just pick a direction and go. Then kids came along and we moved back to BC and left that pastime behind. Maybe when the kids have moved away we'll pick it up again (maybe even 2-up!)
Get a sitter for the kids and have some pastime together now. LOL, best practice now for when the kids are grown and move away.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:32 PM   #10
Water Warrior 2

A nice trip was just after Lynda got her M-50 and we dropped down into Washington to see Mount Baker. Didn't see much of the mountain but there were lots of other things we just ran across and had suggested to us. Grand Coulee Dam was one of the imprompt delights on the way with it's after dark laser light show on the face of the dam. Highly recommended and also a piece of history for those interested. Also had a ferry ride which was unexpected along the way.
We probably didn't ride more than a 100 miles a day on average and it was just a great time to relax and play tourist.