Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Off-Topic Discussion

Old 10-21-2010, 06:22 PM   #1
music man

What kind of gear do you wear?

I just wanted to get a better idea of what all the people on here that say they ATGATT wear, you never know you might open some peoples eyes (like me) to some ideas and alternatives they weren't aware of.

I will start. When it is cool enough I wear a leather jacket, blue jeans, lace up boots, non protective winter gloves, I started out with a half helmet, then moved up to a 3/4, now I wear a full face helmet (I had a problem with wearing a full face at first, so I slowly eased myself into it).

When it is in between hot and cold I switch to a armored mesh jacket, different gloves, blue jeans, the same boots and a full face helmet.

When it is summertime I wear a t-shirt, full face helmet, gloves and the same boots.

The only constant I have is I NEVER ride without a helmet, I always wear blue jeans and boots, and I always wear gloves, I like the grip I get better and my hands don't seem to get vibrated as bad. I don't really wear blue jeans for protection from the pavement(because they offer none), I wore shorts a couple of times when I first started riding, and I didn't like it, rocks, bugs, rain, tailpipe, they all suck when you are wearing shorts (plus you can't really wear boots with shorts).
The only thing I would like to change is I would like to buy some protective pants of some type, since I wear pants all the time anyways i could easily wear those comfortably.

I am not asking this to start a fight (although I know it probably will) but to genuinely find out what everyone on here is wearing when they go out on there bike, and if they wear it all the time or if they are like me and flip flop back and forth, depending on the weather.

And on a side note, I also NEVER go anywhere without my trusty mp3 player, gotta have the tunes.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-21-2010, 07:13 PM   #2
blaine

Re: What kind of gear do you wear?

In the warmer weather I wear a half helmet,blue jeans,biker boots,(black of course,wear them all the time on or off the bike)and a black vest.When the weather gets cooler I add a jacket with zipp out liner,a pair of chaps,and gloves.
:cool: :roll:

Old 10-21-2010, 07:28 PM   #3
Water Warrior 2

Hmm, what do I have ?
Moto specific water proof riding boots. Tall so they protect as much shin as possible.
Pants. 1st pair were Joe Rocket 5.0 water proof, wind proof pants. Too hot for anything considered warm weather. 2nd, JR Alter Ego pants. Textile with removeable portions revealing mesh inserts. I threw the rain liner away.
Jackets. JR again. First was a textile jacket with no water proofing and a few vents. Came with an insulated vest. Second jacket is mesh that breathes quite well. Threw away the rain liner too.
Rain suit from a work wear house. This is my fav. Stops the wind, rain and covers the entire body if you are suddenly into cooler or rainy riding.
Gloves. JR insulated waterproof gloves that have been worn twice in 4 years. A good glove but I don't like them. Some kind of ventilated armored gloves bought this season and I keep for very hot temps. My fav glove are Red Wing gauntlets that have a light thinsulate lining and are extremely comfy and don't mind getting wet. No armor but the leather is good quality and would take some abuse.
Helmets. Have bought 4 in 5 years. HJC CL-14 was the first. Bought a cheaper make as a back-up a year later and took it back the next day. The label said it was already 5 years old. #3 was HJC something or other. It became my primary hat till the back-up expired and I tossed it. #3 became my back-up and my primary is now a flip face HJC CL-MAX. My next hat will be another flip face. All of my helmets have been full face/flip face.
Hearing protection. Yes that too. Foam ear plugs work well for me and the noise is lower and less fatiguing on a longer ride. Any ride out of this small town is a longer ride in my opinion.

Old 10-21-2010, 07:35 PM   #4
Water Warrior 2

Crap, I missed some stuff. Cold temp stuff. TourMaster heated pants and full jacket liner. Also heated insoles. Bala clava too just in case. Light cloth gloves that fit well in my Red Wing gauntlets. Merino wool socks for all riding, hot or cold temps.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:45 PM   #5
music man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Bala clava too just in case.

I have one of these too, but it doesn't get much use, because even when its cold here, it is still overkill most of the time to have it on.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:20 PM   #6
alanmcorcoran

I'm not consistent. Here's my current "Full Battle Rattle" with options.

1) Scorpion Mesh jacket (exoskeleton?) - with or without liner depending on temps. Wear over one, two or three polyester underlayers.
2) Tourmaster rain overjacket. If raining or gets cold - acts as a good layer with the mesh jacket.
3) If I'm touring or going on a Long Pointless Ride, I wear Tourmaster Caliber pants. Waterproof, lined, armored - liner if applicable (cold.) If local time wasting or commuting, I wear jeans.
4) For local cruising I wear Alpinestars Ridge waterproof, zip-up/velcro over the ankle leather boots. For camp/touring, Lowa Renegade waterproof (Gore-tex) over the ankle hikers.
5) 3/4 Scorpion helmet for short local rides. Full Face flip up Arai helmet for freeway riding. the Arai helmet is very comfortable, much quieter than my HJC, fits better and has better ventilation. Prefer the full face when out on the Kawa as it has a minimal windshield and the Arai handles the wind a lot better than the 3/4.
6) Various gloves. I like the Icon Pursuit? also have some humongous cold weather gloves with fingers the size of hotdog buns. The big gloves have zip pockets for weatherproof booties.
7) Max-it head gator (gaiter?) (when cold.)

I also have a heavy leather armored Motorhead jacket (Icon) that I don't wear that much anymore.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:44 PM   #7
Water Warrior 2

[quote=music man]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Water Warrior":3rxpxngj
Bala clava too just in case.

I have one of these too, but it doesn't get much use, because even when its cold here, it is still overkill most of the time to have it on.[/quote:3rxpxngj]
Yes, most of the time it is just along for the ride in a case. But on ocassion there is a crispness to the air. Depending on the air flow on some bikes you can get a chilly draft on your neck which is very annoying and uncomfortable. A turtleneck T-shirt normally does the job well enough. I was quite surprised how well a bala clava works to retain heat.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:29 AM   #8
alanmcorcoran

Check these out - I discovered them for skiing but they are perfect for cold weather motorcycling too...

http://www.maxit-inc.com/products/headgator.html
Old 10-22-2010, 08:54 PM   #9
dentheman

I wear a Bell Ghisallo helmet, Aerotech jersey, Pearl Izumi shorts with padded seat, Specialized gel palm gloves, Pearl Izumi shoes with Shimano cleats.
Old 10-23-2010, 04:54 PM   #10
Fish Baseball

Well the full winter kit
- boots, either lace up over the ankle hiking variety or the 3/4 calf "biker" style
- kevlar jeans, with knee and hip armour
- leather chaps , they cut down the wind chill on your legs at midnight when I'm riding home after work
- hooded jumper
- mesh jacket, with back, sholder and elbow armour
- patch vest. Again, weirdly much more visible than a high vis.....
- full face helmet. I admit that a 3/4 or less helmet would be "cooler" but after my first birdstrike I came to realise I don't mind my face remaining looking the way it does.
- Balaclava, also known as the head sock. Tucks into the top of the jacket, stops cold air getting in around my neck.
- Gortex lined leather gloves. Armored as well, a bit on the chunky side but warm.

So in short, I don't like the cold (lowest it gets to here in Melb AU of a night time is a fresh -3 deg C)

Summer kit
- same boots
- same kevlar jeans
- t-shirt
- lightweight armour jacket (its a mesh shirt with back , sholder, chest, elbow armour and a kidney belt)
- always with the patch vest
- full face helmet
- camel back (gotta keep hydrated!)
- leather armored gloves

Yes, it does take a little bit of time to get ready to ride, even in summer, but the alternative is not worth thinking about.