Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Other Models/Manufacturers

Old 03-21-2014, 12:06 PM   #1
peanut

Ural or Royal Enfield

I'm not trading in my gz250 anytime soon... But I do so enjoy looking! I find I like more classic looking bikes. The Ural Retro Solo wast favorite for a long time. Don't really want something thy big though. Then I found Royal Enfield. They look just as good and have some smaller options. Haven't been able to find a price get though.

Anyone ride either of these makes?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-21-2014, 12:49 PM   #2
Cathy

Qasual - Ural is a super cool bike and with a side car it is double the awesome. They heavy and don't make much hP but torquey. They are like indestructible.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:46 PM   #3
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Ditto on the Ural. They are amazing and will be the only scrap of civilization left, along with the cock roaches, after we and the Ruskies blow each other to smitherines...

Royal Enfields are very cool in their own right, but just know you're getting an old world bike with some old world problems. If you're a tinkerer then it's perfection. I crave the old simplistic style because of the nostalgia and the return it brings to what real motorcycling is. But if you aren't up for things like torquing your bolts all the time and having all mechanical systems, (not too dissimilar from owning any smaller and cheaper rider - only more fine tuned) then you'll be happy.

HOW CAN ANYONE DISLIKE THIS??

ROYAL ENFIELD - STILL COOL BUT YOU CAN COPY THIS LOOK WITH ANYTHING

Last edited by jonathan180iq; 03-21-2014 at 01:50 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:30 PM   #4
peanut

Hooray Ural love! Noone I talk to seems to know these bikes. They just look so cool! Which, as we all know, is an excellent reason to buy anything.

jon, thanks for the insight on maintenance. I'm not opposed to doing it, but I want a daily rider I don't have to question.... so Ural it is! Well, probably... someday...
Old 03-21-2014, 02:44 PM   #5
Water Warrior 2

The more recent Urals are a very good bike that don't require as much tinkering as the earlier models. My friend Don has one and tears along at the maximum suggested cruising speed od 100kph(62mph)all day. His 2 wheel drive side car model will go virtually anywhere he points it.
They are actually a lot of bike for the price. Forward thinking went into the design of the original bikes. All the wheels and tires are the same which means a flat on the front, rear or side car will be taken care of by the spare on the side car.
I Googled Ural last year and was really surprised at their product improvements the past few years. The bike may still look like the original BMW of 1939 they were copied from but are much much better.

Old 03-23-2014, 04:15 PM   #6
mole2

The 2014 Ural Patrols are sharp looking. They come in Red/White, Black/Silver and solid Blue. Improvements on the 2014 includes: EFI, disc brakes all around, better fuel consumption and a higher maximum cruise speed (70 mph)

http://www.imz-ural.com/ural-rolls-l...des-ten-years/

Last edited by mole2; 03-23-2014 at 04:21 PM.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:27 PM   #7
Water Warrior 2

Oh my those are pretty. If I had one I would need to get a dog to ride with me.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:09 PM   #8
mole2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior 2 View Post
Oh my those are pretty. If I had one I would need to get a dog to ride with me.
I'd love to have the red/white one. But alas, there is no dealer in South Carolina and the nearest dealer is in Charlotte, North Carolina which is 4.5 hours away from here. That's a big consideration when service work is required.

Old 03-24-2014, 11:10 AM   #9
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Service? Pssh. It's a Ural. There's nothing a jackhammer, duct tape, and super glue can't fix.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:39 AM   #10
peanut

I just wish they came a bit smaller. I understand the sidecar versions being 750, but a smaller solo would be awesome!