Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips > Lessons Well-Learned

Old 02-28-2010, 09:34 PM   #1
OBryan

You're invisible

Well after I'd joined this forum I'd meant to check and post more often then I have.. I kind of ended up having a rough fall.. Both seasonal and literal.
I was heading home from work of an evening..I was in the left lane of a in town four lane road..I was coming up on an intersection the light was green.. For some reason I just knew that pick up in the left turn lane facing Me was going to move..
and Yep he did..He just didn't see Me headlight and all..He was edging out to make a turn after the car in the right lane next to me went through.
I still go over the options in My head.. A car to the right of Me traffic coming the other way.. I stood on the breaks..I remember starting to slide sideways and screaming inside I didn't want to go down and under his front end..I got it back up straight and trying to relaxe..(ha ha ha).. I had went this over in My head before and figured the best bet was slow down as much as I could and let the bike absorb as much as possible..

Looking back I think it worked.. I got slowed down from the 40 I was doing pretty good... I remember putting My front wheel between his headlights smacking down and the tank and falling to the pavement.. I guess he saw me then...laffs.. I sat up thinking shit I'm going to walk away..Till I saw my left wrist..It had a HUGE hump on the back. Anyway I'm long winded.
I snapped both bones just above the joint and they jammed down under making the big bulge.
My lesson learned? I really think I handled it the right way.
Any comments? I welcome them as food for thought..Oh this was in august and Finally after 4 months I was able to ride again.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-28-2010, 11:02 PM   #2
alanmcorcoran

Re: You're invisible

Well, glad you are alive.

You were in a classic "left turn in front of me" accident. This is the most common cause of fatal motorcycle accidents involving two vehicles according to a number of surveys. (The most common accident is misjudging a turn and going off the road or into a guardrail, or tree, etc. bbut that only involves you and the tree.)

Having read this statistic early on, I kind of assume that all left turners are potentially the last thing I will see and drive accordingly. I usually do not go through intersections at a speed faster than I can stop or swerve to avoid a potential left turner. So far, only one or two have actually turned in front of me, but I have had many people "roll-out" in front from side streets, "back-out" in parking lots, and sometimes, just lane change right in front of me. I don't think I'll be able to avoid them all and one day my luck will run out, but, in the mean time, I just assume that if there is something stupid a driver can do, they have the potential to do it.

How is the wrist?
Old 02-28-2010, 11:29 PM   #3
OBryan

Believe Me ..chuckles..I consider everyother person out there basically out to get Me...
My wrist is doing pretty good.. Just took a long time for one of the breaks to heal.
But on the up side I now have a scar to tell a story about and will set off a metal detector.

I even have another bike... They gave me 2000 to fix mine but just before it came in about a week and half after the accident My best bud called telling Me he found a bike I needed to look at.

So into his car with My bulky cast we went.. Of all things it was a 2006 gz. same year as mine but with what they call a metalic silver instead of black like my wrecked one is.

Long and short I feel bad about almost stealing it.. The man brought it brand new but only had 340 miles on it.
I offered him 1100 and he took it.
Thanks for the concern on the wrist.

Old 02-28-2010, 11:30 PM   #4
blaine

Glad your o.k Did he get charged for turning in front of you?

Old 02-28-2010, 11:33 PM   #5
OBryan

Yes he did... Of course he was an out of stater.. I'm in Missouri he is a Texan but He felt pretty bad and foolish about it happening.. I had no major issues dealing with his insurance company luckily.
My wrist is pretty good still working on getting full motion back though..That four months in a cast really stiffened and shortened all the muscles and tendons.

Old 03-01-2010, 12:40 AM   #6
Water Warrior 2

Wow, not too many walk away from a left turning cage. Glad to hear you survived and are on the way to good health again. Physical Therapy for the wrist is a must. Also glad you got a splendid deal on another bike.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:41 PM   #7
RuffStuff

i got hit head on by some daft girl, while on a big bike, yellow jacket, lights on in daylight too and it destroyed my left wrist, i was lucky to live tbh
I got recommended a power ball by a mx'er i know and ive now got about 80% movement back ( plus one of the best wrist guys in england rebuilt it for me )
the strengths still way off but i cant recommend a powerball enough as it makes you move it in all directions, you should have a look there only about 20 quid so probs be less over there

hope you heal up quick
Old 04-05-2010, 10:41 PM   #8
OBryan

Thanks folks... Am doing great now and Finally enjoying some nice weather to ride in.. The wrist is good and also important though I've been Even more watchful I haven't been skittish..
Old 04-06-2010, 05:12 AM   #9
alanmcorcoran

Welcome back O'Bryan. Good luck with the riding...
Old 04-06-2010, 09:14 AM   #10
mrlmd1

Get a headlight modulator - it makes you a lot more visible to oncoming traffic.
Glad your wrist and everything is OK and you're back riding again.