Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 12-23-2014, 03:49 PM   #1
kongjie

Starting problem, advice before I plunge in?

The other day after work I got on the bike, thumbed the starter and nothing happened. Lights didn't dim so it seemed like the battery was not the issue. I push started it in second and it started right up.

That morning when I rode in, it was raining heavily. I'm in NorCal and this has been a particularly wet time.

At home I shut off the bike, hit the starter and it worked fine.

Couple days later it happened again. Can't remember the weather conditions. But what I do remember is that I went to push start it but it was in first, so didn't work first shot. On an impulse I thumbed the starter and this time it turned over and started.

I've seen this at least one more time: the starter doesn't work the first time, I bump it, the starter works fine.

So before I start checking everything with a multimeter, any suggestions re: what I should focus on?

Two other bits of info that are probably not related but I mention them anyway: 1) week ago I adjusted the valves, and 2) some weeks ago the neutral light started working erratically and then just stopped working at all.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 12-23-2014, 11:57 PM   #2
Water Warrior 2

First off I think the neutral light is just tired and needs to be replaced.
As for the no start problem it also may be a minor issue. Start with some contact cleaner in all the switch gear on the handlebars. Spray everything and work them a few times. Pay particular attention to the start button.
Another thing to check is the little electrical plug/wire on the left side of the bar that is related to the clutch action. The plug can comes loose sometimes and there is a no start issue. Wiggle the plug a touch and make sure it is firmly home. If you have a poor connection there it is just like failing to pull in the clutch to start the bike.
And give the side stand switch a blast of cleaner too. It is easy to get at from under the right side of the bike with the stand down. You will see the switch and the small plunger. Blast the plunger and exercise it a few times with your fingers.
Let us know if that helps.
Old 12-24-2014, 12:00 AM   #3
eranby

I would check the following:
a. starter button -you might have some bad connection /dirt inside
b. side stand switch
it's seems like you have electrical problem ,and not mechanical one
that's why it's happend intermittently

Old 12-24-2014, 12:25 AM   #4
kongjie

OK, will pick up some contact cleaner and check out these areas in the next day or two. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 12-24-2014, 04:27 AM   #5
alantf

When mine does it, it's the clutch switch every time. A blast of contact cleaner into the clutch switch, and I'm good to go for another 6 months, until it does it again.