Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 09-18-2013, 10:32 PM   #1
loneRider91

I think I detonated my engine...

Hey everyone, I'm new to this forum and also a new rider. I purchased my 2000 GZ250 a couple weeks ago. I made a very bad judgement error when checking my oil level before making a 70 mile trip to see a friend. The engine shut off a couple miles from my destination and wouldn't start. I got the bike back home and quickly realized that the engine was seized. So after reading up on this particular problem I decided to dive on in and first thing I did was remove the spark plug.. In doing so this story turned tragic because the first thing I noticed was an unusual amount of difficulty removing the spark plug. When I finally got the spark plug removed I noticed that the end of the spark plug had been smashed. I haven't gone any farther than this because I am pondering on weather it is worth my time to complete disassemble the engine to attempt and rebuild it or if I should just count my losses and sell it. So basically, what are the odds that the only thing that has gone wrong here is the piston hitting the spark plug?

Thanks in advance,
JP

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-18-2013, 11:09 PM   #2
blaine

Re: I think I detonated my engine...

Welcome.Hate to be the barer of bad news,but ii sounds like your engine is toast,especially if it ran dry of oil.Probably cheaper to find a used engine on e-bay.

Old 09-18-2013, 11:20 PM   #3
loneRider91

That's what I am afraid of.. Money is super tight and I literally put all I had into this bike hoping I would be able to find a job since I just started college in a new town..

I think I'm just SOL..

Old 09-18-2013, 11:32 PM   #4
ovilc88

Well bud, I hate to tell, but it's going to be a tough road to get her rebuilt. You have to take a closer look inside and see if the piston hit the plug or if one of the valves broke off and was smashed up against the head. Which could have also hit the plug. If it was just the piston hitting the valve I would say jump on in, but you're telling me the engine seized up from no oil. There is no telling how much damage has been done if that's the case. The bearings could be shot, the rod could be warped, cylinder could be deformed, not to mention the crankshaft also could have taken a hit with the oil level down. I mean...not to dump all the negatives on you all at once, but there is no way for sure to tell if you just replace the piston and rings, throw some oil in it and a new spark plug and it'll just turn over for ya. From my experience with seized engines, a seized engine is a dead engine. Better off looking for a used engine. I purchased a non-running GZ from a gentleman who had experienced a similar event as you. The valve broke off and was smashed up against the head. Seems to happen a lot around here. I was able to get the head redone at a machine shop. Ordered new valves and a good used piston with good rings. Then recently got'er running!
Old 09-18-2013, 11:37 PM   #5
loneRider91

Well I plan on staying up all night tonight and pulling the engine and checking her guts out. Now that you mention it the spark plug was smashed more to one side than the other so maybe could be just the valve.. I guess i'll find out tonight..

How much did you end up spending to get her running? Just out of curiosity and trying to explore my options before I just give up and sell her for scrap or parts..

Old 09-19-2013, 07:14 AM   #6
ovilc88

Well let's see... The head redone was $90, it was in bad shape, but the valve seats were unmolested..
[attachment=0:gpyhh7ac]uploadfromtaptalk1379589147615.jpg[/attachment:gpyhh7ac]

All new valves from Ronayers were $126

Good used piston was $40

Spark plug $3

Oil and Filter $35
Old 09-19-2013, 09:49 AM   #7
JohnC

Quote:
Originally Posted by loneRider91
...I made a very bad judgement error when checking my oil level before making a 70 mile trip to see a friend. The engine shut off a couple miles from my destination and wouldn't start. I got the bike back home and quickly realized that the engine was seized.
Gone.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:09 AM   #8
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

This is a horrible introduction story, Mr. 91.... You need to go relive your life and come back in here and start over.

I'm sorry to hear it, honestly. This isn't something that we wish on anyone, let alone a guy who just invested all he had into something that's not going to do him any favors right now. There are several people who are currently going through, or have recently gone through, something similar here on the site. You should be able to gain some insight from them. But I'm with everyone else when I say it doesn't sound too good.

What length of commute are you looking at? What kind of speeds do you need? Maybe we can brainstorm and come up with something.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:53 PM   #9
loneRider91

First off thanks for all the advice and the warm welcome to the community.

Jonathan, I would have to agree with you that I need to relive my life.. I was not planning to have to introduce my self to the community this way at all :/ I just have some rotten luck.

As far as the nature of destruction inside my engine, I am unsure what all has gone wrong at the moment. I've almost got the engine pulled from the bike but ran into some more bad luck with a stripped nut. Anyone know how to remove an engine mount nut that has been stripped?

I will also post some pictures of the inside of the top end and bottom end when I have the chance to do so. Seeing how I'm juggling a full time college schedule and looking for work while doing this I only have minimal time to spend working on it.

As far as commute and speeds, I am kind of between friends houses around college and my moms house about 65 miles away from school. I need to be able to at least hit 70mph for traveling on the highways to and from school.

I've also contacted a guy at a part store that my family has a charge account at, and he is looking for & pricing:
  • Crank Shaft
    Rod Bearings
    Piston and Piston Rings
    Top end
Is there anything else that I should have him look for that would also need replacing in a worse case scenario?

Thank you all so much. My own family, who know about this shit, haven't even been this helpful they just kinda chuckle and mosey on their way, its kinda fucked up but expected..
Old 09-19-2013, 07:21 PM   #10
JWR

This bike is really happier at 65 and below.

Truth is there are lots of great bikes available
and not nearly as many good riders out there riding them...
"A man's got to know his limitations..."