Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips

Old 07-14-2008, 09:43 PM   #21
music man

Better yet story's like that are what has convinced me that I am a d@#$a#$ and that I am going payday to shop for whatever protective clothing I can afford all in one check, NO BULL!!!!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-14-2008, 10:07 PM   #22
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777
The internet has a plethora of great and cheap gear, but a brick & mortar store can't be beat for fitting and most of the times, prices. The Cycle Gear shop here in Tulsa has great sales every day, including "damaged" or "imperfect" items. I picked up my Frank Thomas Rage gloves for just under 50% off because they were lightly scuffed on the knuckle-plate.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:26 PM   #23
music man

Well its very possible that I will order some stuff on the internet but "try it on at a brick and mortar". thanks for the advice and letting me eat crow on my earlier statements, without raking me over the coals too bad. I guess I was just convincing myself that what I was doing safety wise was good enough just so I could wear what I wanted to. After reading a couple of these story's on here and looking at that horrible crash on the post "Wear your helmet!", man that almost made me sick looking at that. And even though all the gear in the world probably wasn't gonna save that dude, it still makes you think don't it.

That is why this website and places like this are great because you can learn something without having to "learn for yourself" sometimes. If you will notice not all but most of the advocaters of ATGATT on here and elsewhere have taken a spill without gear on, which only tells me one thing since I haven't had that experience.

That I am talking out of my a@# and they know what they are talking about. which is why I am jumping the no to very little gear fence.

Later

Old 07-14-2008, 10:52 PM   #24
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777
It's a hard lesson to learn and we may be fortunate enough to learn second-hand from the first-hand experiences of others.

Just look through some medical sites about the process to clean up road rash and replace/regrow skin, it's not pretty and it's life-threatening in a much slower & more painful way than the traumatic and invasive crashes can be.
Old 07-14-2008, 11:37 PM   #25
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by music man
Better yet story's like that are what has convinced me that I am a d@#$a#$ and that I am going payday to shop for whatever protective clothing I can afford all in one check, NO BULL!!!!
Check out New Enough.Com. They have a very good reputation and an excellant return policy if you need it. The close out section can be a very good way to save even more $$. Their online ordering is pretty easy and a phone call will get you personal service from helpful folks.

Old 07-15-2008, 12:59 AM   #26
primal

Send a message via AIM to primal
I HIGHLY recommend Newenough.com... got some great gloves and a tank bag from 'em. Super fast shipping, too.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:51 AM   #27
patrick_777

An interesting article I read a while back.

I thought it was relevant to the topic a few posts back.

Top 7 Things That Will Happen in a Motorcycle Crash
Old 07-15-2008, 06:37 AM   #28
Badbob

Re: Its all good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. softie
All the wounds had bits of stone embedded in them. My daughters who are 27 and 30 now still remember me screaming as the wounds were scrubbed.
My girls can tell you a similar story. I had some bone exposed and still have a bit of the street in my back that was missed. Sounds like yours was worse.

Once in a while when its hot I think about not wearing my riding pants for an instant. The memory of scrubbing dirt and gravel out of flesh will come back and I gear up.

If you feel like you are dressed to slay dragons .....
Old 07-15-2008, 11:20 AM   #29
roscosmom

Send a message via Yahoo to roscosmom
Laughed At

I say "better to be safe and laughed at because you have the proper gear, than to be laughed at because you have no face"....I'm still lookig for a good jacket with elbow pads, back padding and side padding...I have a good helmet, gloves, and ankle boots. Just lacking the jacket...it gets SO hot and humid in cajun land I really would like to find a lighter jacket with padding instead of a leather jacket!
Old 07-15-2008, 11:59 PM   #30
mr. softie

Phoenix Jacket

I picked up my phoenix 4 jacket(joe rocket) at the local mom and pop motorcycle shop (Phoenix Cycles!) for less than $80. I am very satisfied with it. It comes with a waterproof liner I wear in the morning when it is chilly, and remove for the ride home. This afternoon I rode for 60 miles in stop and go traffic with the temp above 90 and was cozy but not uncomfortable when stopped. When underway the breeze blowing through the mesh was lovely. I'm looking for some ventilated over pants with armor I can wear over shorts cuz my legs do get hot, and I wanna be cool.

I rode all through Europe one summer many years ago, on a BSA 650 Lightning, and I felt like a fool in my jeans. ALL the other riders were wearing full gear. They just looked at me and shook their heads!