Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips

Old 03-17-2007, 04:59 PM   #11
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo
Sweet

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-17-2007, 05:36 PM   #12
Badbob

If one was handy with a welder it would not be hard to make one of these for a GZ250. Especially if you made it flat on the top.

Nice looking bike. I like the shaft drive.
Old 03-17-2007, 07:51 PM   #13
Jordan310

Neither one of us has taken the saftey course.
I dont know why she would have to, but me, not yet.

I should, Im sure.
I just always feel like Im riding a really fast bicycle on the GZ. Lol. =)

Old 03-17-2007, 08:19 PM   #14
Bill

Thanks for the kind words guys. I've made a few other changes since the picture (lowering bones, tank bra, and highway pegs). I'll be adding some Willie and Max Black Magic saddlebags with Easy Brackets and a Memphis Fats windshield in a couple of weeks for a trip south. That should be the end of the expenses. From that point on just gas, oil and miles.

Jordan 310, I only suggested the safety course for your wife so she will appreciate how a bike handles in order to be a better passenger. The bonus is she will also see how serious you are to learn the best techniques for safe riding. You really do learn how to handle the bike better without developing bad habits. Who knows, in the future she may want to take the GZ out for a spin herself. A built in riding partner is really nice.

Cheers!
Old 03-17-2007, 10:42 PM   #15
Jordan310

I dont think Ill ever let my wife on a bike.
Too dangerous, and she trips over her own feet. =)

Old 08-23-2007, 01:40 PM   #16
CANDY

riding double

if the rider is experienced and confident of his abilities, the passenger will enjoy the ride more. i've been a passenger all my life and feel very comfortable on the back of a bike. i will only ride with bikers i feel know what they are doing and are comfortable with themselves and their bikes. my husband and i own a goldwing and a harley fatboy,he has been riding all his life and used to race 250 class motocross. i can't tell you how many times i have fallen asleep on both. as a biker now,i know i'm not ready to ride anyone,and i may never be. so from a riders point, the view from the back can be real interesting. :2tup: :chop:
Old 09-07-2007, 06:53 PM   #17
Eeyorebiker

Here is a discussion on taking on a pillion in the motorcycle community I belong to in LiveJournal:

http://d-klein.livejournal.com/353206.html

Me, I don't ever plan on taking one. Course I didn't ever plan on upgrading my bike, either...and I did that 2 days ago.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:34 PM   #18
Water Warrior 2

Bill, the rear fender rack looks very good.

For anyone wanting to discourage passengers check out Happy Hobo's posts for march 22-25 in Mods. Another alternative to keep granddaughters at bay.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:47 AM   #19
cconleyjr

i don't much care for passengers except when i'm out on the highway we have heavy coal truck traffic around here and the added weight keeps the bike from blowing around so much but the only time i'm on the highway i'm going with someone anyway cuz if you want to go to eat or anything around here you don't have much of a choice but to get on the highway (us 23)
Old 08-23-2008, 09:19 PM   #20
Jenny

Re: Riding 2up/Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbob
Right now I don't know any one who wants to ride double with me so its not really an issue. My wife did but now that she is learning to ride herself she told me she had no intention of riding double with any body. I expect that she will one day when I get my big touring bike. But for now she doesn't ride on the back seat.

I have some rules about carrying a passenger. I don't carry passengers that are not also riders. I know several people who have had an inexperienced passenger essentially kick the bike out from under them by jumping off the bike when they got scared. I don't carry passengers that are not fully geared up. Passengers get busted skulls and road rash same as anyone else. Not ATGATT no ride. This eliminates most of my potential passengers.

I don't think anyone should carry a passenger unless you are 100% familiar with you bike. If you can't ride the bike without a conscious effort to control it your not ready to carry a passenger.

Keep in mind that you are responsible for the life of your passenger.
Why do you say that you expect your wife will want to ride double with you once you get a touring bike? I was a passenger for eight years. I took the MSF class and got my own bike this summer. I rode all morning and then joined my partner for a charity ride. Since I've only been riding a month, I hopped on the back of his bike. While I do plan on being a passenger again because there are times when it will be most convenient for us, I will not do it because I want to. I was bored to tears and absolutely hated today's ride. I was so disappointed because I used to thoroughly enjoy riding on the back. Truthfully, I can't imagine every choosing it for any reason other than convenience again.

I absolutely hate riding on the back of my GZ250 (I had to do it a few times when I first got the bike because I didn't have the skills to get to get the bike home from where it was purchased, to get it to the shop for inspection, to get to the parking lots to practice, etc.). It's extremely uncomfortable. My partner's bike is very comfortable for a passenger, but I still hated today's ride. It was such a disappointment. I shouldn't have preceded it by a two hour ride on my own bike ;-)