Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips

Old 05-28-2009, 10:02 PM   #41
primal

Send a message via AIM to primal
Re: two finger technique

Yea, well, until you put forth some rebuttals you're just gonna be viewed as the guy who thinks he knows so much that he obviously don't have to explain himself. But, I suppose you don't care. And neither do I.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-18-2009, 12:26 AM   #42
diffluere

Quote:
P.S. Checked it out today and I use 3-1/2 fingers on both sides; the pinky is on there but it ain't doin' much.
Same here. My pinky is pretty short (i'm a small person and have small hands anyway.) My pinky just kind hangs out while the rest of the fingers do the work.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:31 AM   #43
dhgeyer

Well, I've just got to get my two cents in of course.... But where to even begin? Let's start here: a motorcycle can be shifted without the clutch at all, and if you can increase/decrease the throttle just right while you're doing it, it can even be a smooth shift that won't destroy the transmission. Racers to this routinely. When my daughter was riding a Ninja 250, she once had the clutch cable break while she was at the library, about 3 miles from here. I called for a tow, and waited for several hours. Finally I had her drive me to the library, got on it, and rode it home. Put it in first and started it in motion (yes, hard on the starter). After that it was clutchless shifts home, rolling through stop signs slowly in first so that I wouldn't have to burden the starter again. I can't claim that I got all the shifts perfect, but it wasn't bad, and I got home and the bike needed no repairs other than replacing the clutch cable. I wouldn't want to ride across Montana that way, but it's good to know that you can do it if home/help isn't too far away.

I have read, and I don't remember where, that the best, smoothest way to shift is fairly close to clutchless shifting. Motorcycles have constant mesh transmissions, which are simpler and different than car/truck transmissions. They actually shift a little more smoothly with a little tension from the engine. The smoothest and quickest shifts I know how to do go as follows:

1. Upshifting: preload the shift lever with upward pressure, but not enough to cause a clutchless shift. Then, quickly and smoothly, squeeze the clutch just a little (you have to develop a feel for just how much) and ease off the throttle just a little to match the engine speed to the new ratio. That doesn't have to be exact. Then (and we're talking a total time of about half a second for the whole maneuver) release the clutch quickly.

2. Downshift: Same, except preload the shifter down instead of up, and increase the throttle a tad instead of easing off. Otherwise, same drill.

This is not a technique for beginners. You don't want to try it until you are quite at ease with the normal shifting technique. They don't teach it in the MSF course, or in owner's manuals, for exactly that reason. I can tell you, though, that it does work, and, when mastered gives the smoothest, quickest, and most pleasant shifts possible, with the least wear on the clutch and transmission. I say that last because it involves very little slip on the clutch at all, and you don't get the usual "clunk" or "clack" you usually get when shifting: it's totally silent and smooth if done right.

I don't especially advocate anyone do this. It's an advanced technique, and during the time it takes to learn it there will be some rough shifts, and some wear and tear on things. I was motivated to learn it because I want to do things on a motorcycle in the most competent way possible - that's just part of the fun for me. Once mastered this way of shifting takes less time and effort, is smoother, and easier on the bike, and it makes me feel good, more at one with the machine.

I listen to other riders shift now. I can tell who's been riding a long time (and trying to improve their technique) and who hasn't, by how long it takes them to shift. With a really skilled rider, all you hear is a fairly sudden drop or increase in engine speed. I know from listening that I am not the only one shifting in this way - far from it.

I know that others here will strongly disagree with all of this, and I'm not going to argue about it. It's a point of view that hadn't been expressed, at least in this thread, and I thought it should be, just so that everyone would know that this lore does exist and some people believe it.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:46 AM   #44
bonehead

I remember riding my 900 honda back in the 80's and hardly ever releasing the throttle while shifting. Of course back then it was all about speed and quickness.(10 foot tall and bulletproof)
Old 08-18-2009, 09:09 AM   #45
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhgeyer
Well, I've just got to get my two cents in of course.... But where to even begin?
A good post.

IMHO, you might want to begin by trying to be a little more concise.
I don't know about anybody else but my interest begins to wane after about the second paragraph.

Old 08-18-2009, 09:46 AM   #46
dhgeyer

Wordy? Verbose? Long winded? ME??????!!!!!!! Nah! Gee, no one has ever accused me of that before.......NOT. Maybe you should save my posts for when you're having trouble sleeping.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:38 AM   #47
bonehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhgeyer
Wordy? Verbose? Long winded? ME??????!!!!!!! Nah! Gee, no one has ever accused me of that before.......NOT. Maybe you should save my posts for when you're having trouble sleeping.
Good one!