Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips

Old 01-02-2010, 09:19 AM   #21
greenhorn

Re: New Jacket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
I was tempted to order one but the credit card took a beating this year so I will wait to see what happens next year during closeout days.
I hear 'ya there WW. With my husband "retiring" (sold his half of a masonry business) we are adjusting to just my income... thus the delay in ordering that jacket...

Next year's version of this jacket promises to be much lighter. the TPG is pretty heavy which stopped me at first, but when it dropped in price & the new version is around $400.... well a person has to do what a person has to do.

The new protective gear is made of something like do2? something like that, anyway, on the molecular level it changes form & on impact supposedly providing superior protection when needed, but very light in weight when not .

Cold up there WW? Dan is waiting until it warms up to -20? to go grocery shopping. :lol: I shouldn't laugh... I am back to work on Monday :whistle:

Mary in MN

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 01-02-2010, 01:45 PM   #22
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn
The new protective gear is made of something like do2? something like that, anyway, on the molecular level it changes form & on impact supposedly providing superior protection when needed, but very light in weight when not .
This is the next level of that.
Old 01-02-2010, 02:26 PM   #23
Water Warrior 2

Hi Mary. Present temp is 37 F with a light rain. Don't know if I could survive 20 below anymore after spending the last few winters here on the coast. But as I have found through experience, the humidity at these temps in Squamish is really bone chilling. I can actually stay warmer with heated gear and riding than getting bundled up in regular street clothes and sitting outside at Star Bucks with the coffee buds.
Good for you and the new jacket no matter what the color. The quality, utility factor and newer type of armor is a fantastic buy.
Good to hear hubby retired, now get him on a bike to keep him busy and smiling like a kid.

Old 01-02-2010, 02:34 PM   #24
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_777
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn
This is the next level of that.
Neat stuff. The possibilities are endless.
Old 01-04-2010, 04:00 PM   #25
burkbuilds

WW- I did leave the liner in and was very comfortable. This morning it was down to 13 degrees here in Rossville, Ga. It's supposed to be that again in the morning and for the next couple of days. I have to head back to Atlanta tomorrow afternoon so I guess I'll get to try this jacket out in some fairly cold temps for a two hour ride. It hasn't topped 32 here in a couple of days and the wind is blowing pretty good, wind chills down to 5-10 degrees they say.

Old 01-04-2010, 04:22 PM   #26
Water Warrior 2

BB, remember the windchill will be far greater once you start moving on the bike. Plan on a few stops to thaw out. The cold can seep into your bones and hypothermia can set in without you realizing it. You might find a rain suit over your other gear will make a big difference. Oh yah, use the built in rain hood(new jacket) to protect the back of your neck. I recently got a bala clava and it is very nice under the helmet.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:47 PM   #27
alanmcorcoran

Opsgear is closing out the Maxit Headgator, a tubular thingie for your head/neck that is very nice for cold weather.

Strongly recommended:

http://www.opsgear.com/Maxit-Headgator- ... dgator.htm
Old 01-04-2010, 07:28 PM   #28
mrlmd1

My jacket finally arrived today, and man, that thing is heavy - should be pretty warm but I'll have to wait 'till tomorrow to go out for a ride, or I may put it on tonight when it's 30 outside when I go to walk the dog to try it out.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:23 PM   #29
Water Warrior 2

Walk really fast and see if it is wind proof. :lol:
Old 01-04-2010, 11:46 PM   #30
burkbuilds

ww-Thanks for the tips. I do wear a balacava in this type of weather. I will probably be using my heated gear as well if it is in the 20's or lower when I'm riding. I've got a short (20 min) ride to do about 9 am and that should give me a little bit of an idea about how it's going to go when it is this cold.