Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips

Old 04-22-2010, 03:09 PM   #11
bonehead

Re: Motorcycle Fatalities Down in 2009

That's exactly what happened. The flesh gave way and the helmet would'nt have. He hit the drip edge above the door. They figured the helmet would have slowed the impact down and probably snapped his neck.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-22-2010, 03:16 PM   #12
dannylightning

never really thought of it like that till you said the helmet would have got him. that was the only possibility that seemed logical, i may never wear my helmet again lol
Old 04-22-2010, 03:20 PM   #13
bonehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannylightning
never really thought of it like that till you said the helmet would have got him. that was the only possibility that seemed logical, i may never wear my helmet again lol
He was only going 20-30 mph and he has a scar from the inner corner of his eye back to the base of his skull. Pushed the drip edge almost a foot in. needless to say, he's got a hard head.

Old 04-22-2010, 04:26 PM   #14
dhgeyer

The statistics are known and convincing. I can't quote them, but I've seen them, numerous studies worth. Seat belts are much more likely to save your life than a motorcycle helmet, though both save lives far often more often than they cause injury or death. Everyone has an anecdote to the contrary, but in these cases the numbers are decisive, and they don't lie.

However, helmets are not the panacea that the press would have us believe, and most people do. From non-riders, when they find out that I ride, more often than not the first thing out of their mouths is "Do you wear a helmet?". It should be "Are you trained?", or "What safety/training related books have you read?", or "Do you ever drink any alcohol before riding?" or "Do you take unneeded risks because it's more fun?".

Having said all this, I am proud to report that I live in a state with no helmet or seatbelt law for adults. I think people should be free to be as stupid as they choose as long as it's their own hide they're risking. Now, here's the most common counter argument: "Your stupidity is driving up the cost of health care, and everyone has to pay for that.". Here's what's wrong with that. 1) It's basically not true, or if it has any truth, the effect on others is minuscule compared to other stupid behavior such as not exercising, carrying extra weight, using tobacco, drinking to excess, eating unhealthy foods, etc. Those habits are what is really driving up the cost of health care in a big way. 2) It's a slippery slope. If I can tell you to wear a helmet or seatbelt today, because your stupidity may cost me money, then tomorrow I can legally force you to go to the gym, tell you what to eat and how much, tell you to stop smoking, and etc. 3) Limiting basic freedoms without a very strong reason is not what my country, at least, is supposed to be about. Other countries have different traditions, be we are supposed to be about respecting individual liberty.

End of rant. And I always wear my seatbelt and a full face helmet, which probably did save my life on one occasion.
Old 04-22-2010, 05:31 PM   #15
mrlmd1

If you don't wear the helmet or covering gear, then you should have to pay the cost of the head injury or skin grafts or traction and casts. No one else. If you have no insurance, you should be SOL if you screw up and have no protection, IMO.

And alantf, are you really blaming the seatbelt for a "dislocated rib" (probably a fractured costo-cartilage junction - where the rib and cartilage join in the front of your chest)? What do you think would have happened to you, your injuries, without the seatbelt - maybe a fractured sternum and multiple ribs from hitting the steering wheel, a cardiac contusion ( bruised heart), broken nose/facial bones, etc, etc,. You should be happy you had that on, instead of blaming it for an injury.

And the doctor who said the helmet hitting the car could have broken the guy's neck. That's crap, you don't see any reports of neck fractures caused by helmets. Another totally misinformed off-the-cuff expert opinion buy someone with little or no knowledge or expertise to back up a statement like that.

Helmets are basically intended for and designed for saving your face and head from the injury sustained when you fall sideways off the bike and hit your head on the road, from a height of about 6' or so. It will not protect you from slamming into something at 50 mph and coming out unscathed. Get you expectations in order and don't expect them to save your ass or head in ANY crash or accident circumstance, and don't blame any protective gear for your injury, 'cause it ain't so. Whatever injury would have been much worse without the protective gear.

Old 04-22-2010, 05:40 PM   #16
music man

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhgeyer
The statistics are known and convincing. I can't quote them, but I've seen them, numerous studies worth. Seat belts are much more likely to save your life than a motorcycle helmet, though both save lives far often more often than they cause injury or death. Everyone has an anecdote to the contrary, but in these cases the numbers are decisive, and they don't lie.

However, helmets are not the panacea that the press would have us believe, and most people do. From non-riders, when they find out that I ride, more often than not the first thing out of their mouths is "Do you wear a helmet?". It should be "Are you trained?", or "What safety/training related books have you read?", or "Do you ever drink any alcohol before riding?" or "Do you take unneeded risks because it's more fun?".

Having said all this, I am proud to report that I live in a state with no helmet or seatbelt law for adults. I think people should be free to be as stupid as they choose as long as it's their own hide they're risking. Now, here's the most common counter argument: "Your stupidity is driving up the cost of health care, and everyone has to pay for that.". Here's what's wrong with that. 1) It's basically not true, or if it has any truth, the effect on others is minuscule compared to other stupid behavior such as not exercising, carrying extra weight, using tobacco, drinking to excess, eating unhealthy foods, etc. Those habits are what is really driving up the cost of health care in a big way. 2) It's a slippery slope. If I can tell you to wear a helmet or seatbelt today, because your stupidity may cost me money, then tomorrow I can legally force you to go to the gym, tell you what to eat and how much, tell you to stop smoking, and etc. 3) Limiting basic freedoms without a very strong reason is not what my country, at least, is supposed to be about. Other countries have different traditions, be we are supposed to be about respecting individual liberty.

End of rant. And I always wear my seatbelt and a full face helmet, which probably did save my life on one occasion.

:plus1: :plus1: :plus1:
Old 04-22-2010, 10:01 PM   #17
dannylightning

dhgeyer that was beautifully written, i like it.

mrlmd1 you are grossing me out with all your breaking limbs off of your body talk and scaring the newbies hhahahahahah
Old 04-23-2010, 12:06 AM   #18
Water Warrior 2

Grossing out a few newbies and oldies may prompt them to dress for the crash.
Old 04-23-2010, 04:59 AM   #19
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1

And alantf, are you really blaming the seatbelt for a "dislocated rib"
So ........... They can send a man to the moon, but they can't design a "safety device" that doesn't injure me (and I'm forced to wear)?
Old 04-23-2010, 07:12 AM   #20
bonehead

I'm out. Too many know it alls on here. :redflip: