Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips

Old 08-06-2010, 08:52 PM   #11
dhgeyer

Re: Helmet

I have a full face and a 3/4. For longer rides, or at highway speeds, the full face helmet is much more comfortable. The wind in your face is great, but only for so long, and then it adds to fatigue. Also, I've been hit by sand off a truck, big bugs, and various airborne objects enough to appreciate the extra protection of that face shield.

When it's really hot, and I'm not going that far or that fast I wear the 3/4. I don't like it as much, but at some point it's safer not to fry your brain.

As for crash safety, it has been established by at least one study that a disproportionate amount of hits on helmets are on the front when accidents happen. This means that a full face helmet has a greater safety differential than you would think just by the relatively smaller area it protects.

I have seen the aftermath of a couple of accidents in which people were wearing half helmets, and I would never wear one of those. Upon impact they have too much potential for sliding around, leaving areas unprotected that should be. I remember in particular being first on the scene of a crash involving an older gentleman. He had a very bad gash over his eye where the helmet should have been. It must have slid back, and his head hit the handlebars, or whatever he hit. The Snell Memorial Foundation won't even test half helmets, or develop a standard for them.

I have found that the claustrophobic feeling of a full face helmet goes away after you wear one for a while. To me, it feels like a very comfortable extension of my head. I feel much better with it on, and enjoy the ride more. I've been wearing them for years.

You can wear glasses under a full face helmet. You put the helmet on first, lift the face shield, then put on the glasses. I've worn sunglasses that way for years. When touring, when a FF helmet is all I have, I have removed the face shield or simply ridden with it up when the weather got really hot. Still hotter than a 3/4, but not by a huge amount. Of course you need glasses or goggles if you do that, same as you would for a 3/4 helmet.

I'm not a full ATGATT guy, but close to it. Having survived one serious crash with only very minor injuries because of the gear I was wearing, I'm a believer. My wife is alive today because of the gear she was wearing. I'll shed gear only under the most extreme conditions of heat and humidity. Mesh gear actually can keep you cooler in hot, sunny weather, as it concentrates airflow and keeps the Sun off your skin.

Good safety gear requires a substantial investment of money, and also the time to research what you need and what's any good. If it saves your life, or keeps you from serious injury even once, it's well worth it.

How many riders have never gone down? How many never will?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-07-2010, 03:16 AM   #12
mole2

I have a full face modular for the winter and two three quarter helmets with face shields for the rest of the year. I really like the 3/4 helmets as they feel more comfortable. The face shields keep the bugs out of the mouth. lol

Old 08-07-2010, 05:17 AM   #13
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole2
I really like the 3/4 helmets as they feel more comfortable. The face shields keep the bugs out of the mouth.
Couldn't agree more. A ¾ is the only helmet I wear. One problem though - the face shield slides up under a sort of "visor" to protect it when not in use, and at around 70 mph the wind gets under the visor, & tries to push the helmet back, off my head. A bit uncomfortable at times, & I have to tip my head slightly forwards to deflect the wind flow. :2tup:

Old 08-07-2010, 06:15 PM   #14
Nutterhead

I have decided to go with one of each and depending on the riding I'm doing. Thanks guys!
2001 Suzuki GZ250
Old 08-07-2010, 07:13 PM   #15
alanmcorcoran

Let me know what kind you get (and what they weigh!)

Old 08-10-2010, 01:52 PM   #16
bonehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarris
I've been riding for 35 years or so and I wear a Harley police style DOT 1/2 helmet in the summer and a 3/4 Nolan in the winter. I find that it's too damn hot here in Florida for anything more. It's more likely that I'll have a heat stroke rather than crash. The full face helmets make me feel very claustrophobic.

I'm also not an ATFGATFT kind of guy either. I don't like the Teenage Mutant Turtle look (Donatello!!) and prefer to ride in jeans, t-shirt (black of course), and riding boots in the summer.

I'm ready, so........flame on.

:plus1: :plus1: :plus1:
Old 08-11-2010, 04:33 AM   #17
Fish Baseball

Full face. Yes I am one of the ATGATT crew. I also took a bird out with my head, so thats why I'll stay Full Face (Donatello I guess.)
Old 08-11-2010, 09:23 PM   #18
burkbuilds

You've gotten a lot of great reply's on this one, so I will only add that I wear different helmets for different weather. In the winter I actually wear a snow mobile DOT approved modular helmet. It's nice and warm, but does restrict your side vision a little. In Spring and Fall I usually wear a 3/4 helmet, but if it's pouring rain I've got another full face modular I can wear. This Summer, I thought my brain was going to burst into flames on a two hour ride at mid day to Atlanta while wearing the 3/4 helmet. I knew there was a dealership in Marietta, so I swung off the interstate and bought a half helmet and I've been wearing it ever since. Even the 1/2 helmet gets pretty hot if you have to sit still in traffic. I guess it's pretty obvious that my main criteria for a helmet is comfort.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:57 PM   #19
Palaka

Send a message via MSN to Palaka

I have both a full face modular and a half helmet. I will use the 1/2 for the 5 mile to and from work or when going down tot he store and back. Then use the fullface one when ever I will riding on any long strech of highway or other large roads.
There are a couple reasons to this. First, I have had a couple long rides with the half that was just really uncomfortable because the wind consently trying to take it off my head. Second, not being able to hear for the first 5 minutes or so after stopping is really annoying. (ear plugs do come in handy sometimes). I also will keep a bandana in my pocket or saddlebags for if it starts to rain or have to ride on a road with a lot of construction when I am wearing my half.
I will always wear pants of some type, boots, gloves, and a long sleeve shirt and if I am riding anytime when the sun is not up or low light conditions I will wear a reflective vest. I also have a nice mesh jacket for the highway rides.
As for which helmet I think is best is a hard choice for me I like both. The half is quick, easy and cool but doesn't give much protection for the rest of your face. The full on the other had give that protection but can be pretty miserable while sitting in traffic. Even with the modular that can flip up while at a light sometimes it is just too hot.
I think your desicion of getting both will be the best and that way you can try for yourself to figure out which one you like most.
Old 08-12-2010, 03:03 PM   #20
mrlmd1

Here's some more info to add to half helmets, and "novelty" unapproved DOT helmets.

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A ... df&h=d7731

(Just click continue when you get to the Facebook page, it will open the article).

They may not stay on in a crash, don't provide the same protection as approved helmets, and you may be better off with nothing on or a baseball cap as you know what you have on your head without a false level of security of protection. This is for novelty helmets, not a half helmet approved by DOT if there is such a thing (I don't know).