Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips

Old 08-12-2010, 03:46 PM   #21
Sarris

Re: Helmet

The Biker Fuzz as well as myself wear a DOT approved half helmet. Readily available. No Snell approval though.

:2tup:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-12-2010, 03:49 PM   #22
alantf

Although there may be Dot & Snell approved helmets over here (I haven't looked that close) the general approval is CE. This is "a declaration by the manufacturer that the product meets all the appropriate provisions of the relevant legislation implementing certain European directives". This may be why Airoh helmets aren't on sale in America.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:19 PM   #23
mrlmd1

That article is mainly referring to "novelty" helmets, which probably shouldn't be around. It's more of a decoration than any kind of protection.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:52 PM   #24
Nutterhead

yea I am not even thinking of a novelty helmet. I am talking a DOT/SNELL approved half helmet.
2001 Suzuki GZ250
Old 08-13-2010, 01:19 AM   #25
Water Warrior 2

I have 2 HJC helmets, a full face and a modular. Decent helmets at a reasonable price. I was always satisfied with the fit until I tried on a Shoei modular helmet. OMG, it fit like a second skin compared to the HJC. So my next helmet probably will be a Shoei mod. Yes the price is up there but I will be willing to pay for the comfort when the time comes to retire the HJC. My advice: get a comfy helmet regardless of price and be sure it is DOT approved of course.
Keep in mind that facial injuries make up 23 % of injuries suffered by downed riders. Everyone has to make their own choices but I want to keep my weathered old look as long as possible so it is full face and ATGATT for me.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:16 AM   #26
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
OMG, it fit like a second skin compared to the HJC. So my next helmet probably will be a Shoei mod. .
You might want to give the HJCs another look before you do that.

I liked my CL-15 just fine but my new CL-16 is much better. Quieter, fits better (although one size bigger) and vents better. Also has more visor options with a "fog free" insert or replacement shields. I got a tinted insert but haven't decided if I'm gonna like that or not.

They also had new modular models on the shelf.....but at ~ $60 more, I didn't consider them seriously.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:19 PM   #27
Water Warrior 2

You can be sure I will look at HJC when the time comes. They might have a helmet shape and fit that is more like the Shoei but at half the $$.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:35 PM   #28
alanmcorcoran

Helmet

I tried on a bunch this morning and, without being too scientific, decided to try an Arai. I'm currently stuck at a Honda (cage) dealer (got daughter a fit) but I'll post the model when I get home.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:04 PM   #29
emory70

i scored an hjc 3/4 for $30 a while back, and that's what i wore when i got my geezer. after the first day, i knew i needed to upgrade. my tiny glasses were everywhere from the wind. i had my eye on the 3/4 units with the full shield and flip down shades, at one of the local dealers for $150. while at another dealership getting my flat rear tire repaired, i spotted the clearance table. got a new hjc 3/4 with full shield (but no shades) on sale for $50 from $110. sweet. now i am invincible. j/k. but i love it. now i need sunglasses. my dad has a pair of curved lens prescription glasses, but they were $700. i guess harley people have all the money.

i wear boots, jeans, tshirt, and my 3/4 every day. i got a pair of gloves, but they make my hands go to sleep. i guess xl was too small after all
Old 08-13-2010, 10:51 PM   #30
burkbuilds

Hey, I don't like to spend a lot of money on my shades, but I do want ones that work well. I've found that BOAS Smoke Tinted Black frame wrap around polycarbonate safety glasses which meet ANSI Z87.1 standards work well for me, and I don't have to shell out a lot of money. I mail order the things from Best Materials LLC and get them a dozen at a time shipped to my house for less than $36 total including shipping. That's about $3 each and they hug my head well enough that they don't shake loose even when I'm just wearing a half helmet and going 75 mph. I can't say how they will fit your head, but if they fit, I think you will be pleased with them.