Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 03-26-2015, 04:51 PM   #11
marauder1313

Alright cool, thanks.

I leave next thursday, and plan to do around 20,000kms.
Lets hope this little GZ can take it!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-27-2015, 11:13 PM   #12
Plavanchy

I usually can get around 210 miles between fill ups.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:26 PM   #13
PG tips

The most I got was 220 miles, with the reserve still left, I may have brimmed it to the max, I don't recall.I was probably driving easier then, recently I've been in a rush all week and driving at speed most of the time, got 190, still I'm interested to know how far the reserve will go in case I get stuck to refill.
I ran out once and had to push, I wouldn't like to push a heavier bike, surprisingly heavy bike I think. I hadn't ridden the bike in a while and must have mixed up the petcock positions, tried to switch it over and didn't get any better, worse still I'd passed the previous exit so couldn't even walk the bike back to a nearer station, dumb I know. I've two hard plastic cases fixed onto the sides and am tempted to keep about 2 litres of petrol in there, if I could get a conveniently small sized proper petrol container rather than an old drinks bottle.
I'm off to check the tank main and reserve capacity and come up with a figure.

Old 03-28-2015, 01:52 AM   #14
PG tips

Just calculating it for my own benefit, its coming to potentially 50-55 miles from the reserve based on my usage and returned mpg, probably in theory running it absolutely dry. The reserve seems to be a bit under 20% of the non reserve portion, so I'd be erring on the lesser amount if I was stuck at around 20% of whatever you get before you have to switch over, in my case on average 200, that gives a reserve of 40 miles but I wouldn't purposely use more than half that unless I was stuck.
Old 03-29-2015, 12:41 AM   #15
kmrcstintn

on the cautious side I try to fill up every 100 miles; most I have ridden before filling is 165 mile...forgot how much gas it took to refill

Old 03-30-2015, 11:00 PM   #16
Water Warrior 2

Just a word or two here about long rides and tank capacity. Don't bother trying to ride the whole tank full. Stop every hour or hour and 15 minutes to stretch and walk around a bit. This will keep your body and mind in better shape. If you can match your stops for a stretch and a gas stop you will be doing well. Stopping for scenic pics are a good way to sneak in a stretch too.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:49 PM   #17
PG tips

Most of my journeys are fairly short, usually about 10 to 15 miles, I filled up last week and have about 95 miles done, currently trying to estimate my mileage and the cost savings, i know it saves me in tolls, time and traffic jam stress, even with the cold, rain and wind its worth it. I dont think id manage a full tank on the gz in one sitting without getting off for a break or a stop,haven't even been close to such a journey in a while, thought ever entered my mind, I suppose if I was on a long journey, I'd either plan stops or stop when I felt the need.
Old 05-05-2015, 06:14 PM   #18
Vegas Street Rider

I average about 75 to 80 miles per gallon with commuting speeds at an average of about 45 miles per hour. This is stop and go traffic. I use 87 octane fuel and ride conservatively downshifting and mild braking with quick acceleration and hard stopping only as necessary.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:02 AM   #19
Kallum

Usually fill the tank just before the 300 km mark, it takes 10-11 liters then
Old 05-20-2015, 08:57 PM   #20
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallum View Post
Usually fill the tank just before the 300 km mark, it takes 10-11 liters then
You don't want to know how many liters it takes to get my Ford Ranger 300 kms down the road.