Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Ride Reports & Meets

Old 04-06-2009, 12:08 AM   #1
deputydogg2763

I made the long ride

Just a short while back, I asked if the GZ could make a long trip. I have only been riding a motorcycle since Sept. 08. I mainly commute back and forth to work. The longest trip that I have made until now has been 3 hours one way. I am proud to say that I made the trip of 500 miles one way with no probs from the bike. I invested in a throttle lock ($40 well spent), installed it with no problem, loaded up a backpack, strapped it on and headed out to Oklahoma City from Memphis. I got a late start on a Saturday and rode about halfway, got a room and got some rest. I got up early the next day and continued the adventure. I took I-40 all the way there and stopped when I needed a stretch and had a great time. I stayed in Oklahoma City until the following Friday and loaded up and headed home. I left early enough that I could make the entire trip in one day if I wanted to. I decided to get off the Interstate some and enjoy the ride a little more. I took I-40 to Sallisaw, Oklahoma, then got off on Highway 64 (which runs parallel to I-40 for about 140 miles). That was nice and relaxing except for hitting Fort Smith, Arkansas right at rush hour on a Friday. Once I got through Fort Smith, it was smooth sailing and nothing but pure riding joy. I took Highway 64 all the way to Conway, Arkansas, and then got back on I-40 the rest of the way back to Memphis. My only complaint is that the ride ended while I was still having a blast, wish it could have been a little longer. My advice to anyone planning a ride like that is to layer (which I did and was very grateful that I did), plan your stretch breaks, don't get in a hurry, and enjoy!!!!!! :cool: Thanks to everyone who gave some good advice before I headed out. This is a great place to come and get info and enjoy some wisdom from those with a few more miles under their belt. :2tup: Hope there are many more enjoyable rides!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-06-2009, 12:52 AM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Re: I made the long ride

Awesome ride. Never let anyone say the GZ won't go places. Lynda rode her GZ over 5000 KMS(3000miles) last summer and had a blast during the whole trip. Had 3 weeks of riding and visiting. Looking forward to more ride reports.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:10 AM   #3
mr. softie

Sounds like you had a great time deputydogg. Glad to hear the trip went well. I always trusted my GZ, and enjoyed the trips I took it on.

Old 04-06-2009, 02:20 AM   #4
BusyWeb

Wow, that's a ride!
And, it seems that all the GZ are waking up from the Winter time....
Old 04-06-2009, 02:59 AM   #5
alanmcorcoran

Good ride.

Old 04-06-2009, 12:23 PM   #6
Moedad

Outstanding, DD! Well done. That's the way to enjoy your GZ. Love seeing all the ride reports cropping up.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:25 PM   #7
deputydogg2763

Actually, I never put it up for the winter. I rode it back and forth all winter, minus a couple of weeks when there was snow or ice on the road. I grew up in Nebraska and kinda enjoy the cold sometimes. I know now that it fully capable of some long rides, and plan on making more. Got a bike, might as well ride it as much as possible!
Old 04-26-2009, 12:34 AM   #8
GZ250

Awesome. I do ride long but this is something. Never tried on GZ on interstates because of speed. By the way when you ride on I-40 or any highway at what speed you normally ride?

Thanks