Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 12-03-2011, 03:10 PM   #1
greatmaul

Target fixation, rain and failure to negotiate a curve :(

I never really thought target fixation would happen to me, but it sure did, and yes I have Proficient Motorcycling by David L. Hough (and his 2 other books, and 7 or 8 others.)

I think multiple factors went into this *almost* crash. 1.) I was dead tired because it was Thanksgiving and we had to get up early (I work nights.) 2.) we were late, 3.) my wife and kids were somewhere in the car and I was trying to catch up, and 4.) it was the very first time I had ridden in the rain.

I was super nervous about the rain, and I came up on a 45mph left hander, and was easing around it when I noticed I was angled towards the side of the road. I tried to correct the steering but one hand was fighting the other: the left hand wanted to lean to make the curve, and the right was fighting desperately to keep the bike straight up and down because the street was wet. I was panicking and staring right at the edge of the road, so I watched myself drift right to the line, over it, and right off the road.

It was all dirt and rocks and tree roots, and I kept rolling. I didn't drift any further sideways I think because I was afraid to look over there because it was all trees and barbed wire fence. After a long bit of panicked trying to stay upright, I realized I still had the throttle on, so I eased off of it, and after I finally slowed, I angled back on to the road.

I was really amazingly surprised that I didn't go down, and for a bit I swore I'd never ride again, but that was last week and I've been riding to work and back with no problems. I'm just afraid of what will happen next time when it rains.

Login or Register to Remove Ads