Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Off-Topic Discussion

Old 11-16-2010, 05:48 PM   #1
Moedad

Old Man Winter

Whew! You can tell winter's just around the corner. For the second time in as many weeks, I've chosen to wear my non-mesh jacket. Might have to put the liner in it by year's end if this keeps up.

Me --> :poke2: <--Everybody who lives some place where they have real winters.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 11-16-2010, 06:37 PM   #2
dentheman

Re: Old Man Winter

Here in W. Texas we do get below freezing at night during winter and every 2-3 years get a couple inches of snow with ice on the road. That is a sign for many to drive faster than they usually do, especially SUV and 4WD drivers who think their brakes work better on ice than 2WD vehicles.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:56 PM   #3
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentheman
Here in W. Texas we do get below freezing at night during winter and every 2-3 years get a couple inches of snow with ice on the road. That is a sign for many to drive faster than they usually do, especially SUV and 4WD drivers who think their brakes work better on ice than 2WD vehicles.
From experience and observation I can say a 4x4 just gets you going faster so you can hit the ditch at higher speed. Years ago on the recommendation of a co-worker I bought 4 Good Year ice radials for my 2 wheel drive Ranger. It was a real dream compared to a big Bronco in 4x4 mode with all season tires.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:28 PM   #4
dentheman

When we do get the icing I drive down the road and about 8 out of 10 in the ditch will be SUV and/or 4WD.

When I was stationed in Florida there were often winter days when I would wear shorts and a T shirt while the locals were bundled up. They thought I was nuts, I just told them I was raised in Wisconsin.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:59 AM   #5
bonehead

Winter in central TX is usually jacket in the morning and shorts in the afternoon.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:10 PM   #6
Water Warrior 2

Winter has arrived here in Squamish, actually the entire west coast. Temps right now are below freezing with a fair wind blowing. This is a fine test for a cheap apartment built by the lowest bidder. Balcony curtains are moving around because there is such a poor fit and finish to the sliding glass doors. Baseboard electric heater is inadequate, hence the electric heater in the living room. Snow is on the way.
Still better than Southern Alberts yesterday. A friend called and said it was -17 C and falling. So I won't complain much, just mumble a little now and again. Glad I'm not a prairie boy anymore.
Old 11-20-2010, 05:41 AM   #7
alantf

And we're moaning because the temperature has dropped below 70ºf !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-22-2010, 11:23 AM   #8
mrlmd1

I feel bad for you guys up North (I used to live there too) but it's been 75 here for the past week, nice and sunny, supposed to be mid 70's-80 all this week. Perfect for riding, no winter gear on yet.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:18 PM   #9
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
I feel bad for you guys up North (I used to live there too) but it's been 75 here for the past week, nice and sunny, supposed to be mid 70's-80 all this week. Perfect for riding, no winter gear on yet.
If I had those temps for the week I can think of a few reasons to not to be at home for a week.
Old 11-25-2010, 07:04 PM   #10
Water Warrior 2

So it is snowing like crazy here right now. Snow plows have been out since last night and this town is almost shut down compared to the normal everyday routine. Went out for a coffee and realized I didn't have any foot wear except for my sneakers. On with the riding boots. Warm, waterproof and good to walk in. Not nearly as big and clumsy as some snow boots I saw people wearing today. Hmm...................riding boots for walking in snow, does that make me a cross dresser ?