Old 05-03-2010, 11:32 AM   #22
SuziQ07

Re: Backpack Recommendations??

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuziQ07
I'm a teacher so I need some sort of bag to bring all my papers home
Why? Can't you find a dumpster closer to school? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ha!! That's a terrific idea...I'll just have to make sure there aren't any parents watching me! :tongue:
Old 05-03-2010, 11:34 AM   #23
SuziQ07

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
Don't give up the backpack idea completely.
You will have to lock your helmet to the bike when you leave if you use a tail bag or saddlebags - you know where the D-ring lock is underneath the seat, right?
Or, more secure, if you get a full face helmet, you can lock it on with a short cable lock or a gun trigger lock like I previously posted on here.

I did find the lock under the seat last week...thanks!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-03-2010, 11:35 AM   #24
SuziQ07

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillInGA
Extra stopper knot in bungee:

Thanks for taking the time to post this picture...this is very helpful!
Old 08-04-2011, 11:24 PM   #25
mavrix

Send a message via Yahoo to mavrix

I had used a backpack, but don't really like it so now 'm looking for a tail or tank bag and these suggestions are very helpful.

Thank you everyone!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-05-2011, 02:07 AM   #26
Water Warrior 2

Don't be afraid to spend some money on a good tank bag or tailbag. Stuff does happen as Lynda found out after gasing up one day. She forgot the tank bag was behind the drivers backrest and rode off. I watched the tank bag take a dive for the pavement at 120 kms(75 MPH). The bag suffered a slight bit if scuffing but her camera inside was in perfect condition. If the bag had been a write off it would still be cheaper than her camera.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:19 AM   #27
cayuse

I added a couple of straps and clips to a small backpack and turned it into a tank bag. I can still use it as a backpack if I want. I use it every day on my commute, carrying my lunch, camera, etc. Just picked up a medium-sized camera bag for my camera and strapped it to my sissy bar. Now I've got a handy little tail bag. Lots of options out there if you think outside the box a little.

2005 GZ250 (sold after 26000km)
2013 CB500XA
Old 07-25-2012, 05:21 PM   #28
evil_hero

Right now, all I have is a backpack. I am looking for a tank bag (preferably) or maybe a tail bag, or something that will fit a 17 inch laptop. Ideas/suggestions?

Thanks
Old 07-28-2012, 02:06 AM   #29
HumbleNewRider

I'm looking for a "system" myself for carrying stuff also. I don't have a solution, but I lean toward those that attach the cargo to the bike (either directly or inside saddlebags or a tank/tail bags, etc). I'll add a thought I didn't see posted.

I'm staying away from a backpack for one reason. It is my perception they could be a determent in a crash (especially if the pack was heavily loaded - with w/ school books). From what I've read, back injuries occur in about 13% of motorcycle accidents; however, only about 3% of accidents result in any neurological damage. But, those are the worse!! The back / spine protectors have debatable benefit (at least that's what I've read); because, the neurological damage primarily comes from torsional rotation, not impact. I've concluded (for now anyway) that rolling along the pavement with a bulky back pack could keep the upper body for rolling while the lower body does. But, I also realize that large boots could slow down the rotation of your lower body. So, I clearly see this could be debatable also.

I don't think there are any studies on it --- and it is probably like so many other things (such as which oil is best, what air pressure to use, which helmet), there are very good pros and cons. So, it comes down to a personal preference as to what we are comfortable with. But for now, I'm not an advocate of back packs.

I like the hard saddle bags or the hard tail box like alantf has. They have a bit more security than the softsided stuff. But, the soft bags (or even back packs) that are strapped/secured to the back rest, tank, or seat at least have the advantage that you can easily carry them inside with you.

I haven't decided exactly what direction I'm going yet, other than I've ruled out back packs.

Phillip
Old 07-28-2012, 03:11 AM   #30
Water Warrior 2

Give a little more thought to the hard case on Alantf's bike. I have the same case. It comes off in a second or 2 and you carry it like a suit case. Water proof and tough as nails. More costly than textile/fabric bags but they are lockable and very secure on the bike. The Shad brand which Alantf has comes with it's own mounting plate for a rack on the bike. There are a few options for a rear rack but you can always try to make your own.
I took the easy way out with Lynda's GZ and mounted a top case in place of the pillion seat. I made up a steel plate to serve as a mounting rack with the top case mounting plate attached to it. Worked great and she had a backrest to boot. Lynda never carried a pillion so everything worked out perfectly.