Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 08-07-2013, 01:00 AM   #21
bwader

Re: Rejected inspection: front turn signals

I have advance, autozone, and an O'Reilly autoparts stores within a few miles.

I tried searching for 12volt 3.4watt bulb or even turn signal indicator bulb. Though indicator comes up with some motorcycle looking replacements.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-07-2013, 01:26 AM   #22
mole2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwader
:2tup: So far I took the bulb out it seems to work normal now. Ill see in the morning with a new bulb I'll pick up at advance auto in the morning.

Damn, I might have been able to pass inspection just pulling out the bulb. Though I'm not holding my breath either, its dark out and only with the motorcycle lights on it seems to have been the problem!

Wow this was really simple to do. Only thing though the place I got inspected, Tread Quarters has only one inspector and he said in advance he was not going to be there Wednesday, sucks its Wednesday now after midnight.
Ahh be patient and wait til Thursday and spend 1$ or spend another $12 at a different inspection station.

I'll wait another day, it will be my luck it will rain Friday when I return to work.

Thanks everyone for your inputs and help. I'll try the new bulb and I'll post here the results and go from there.
Simple? Yes. Always try to KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid. When trouble shooting you start at the simplest and work your way up. :2tup:

Old 08-07-2013, 01:37 AM   #23
mole2

Quote:
I have advance, autozone, and an O'Reilly autoparts stores within a few miles.

I tried searching for 12volt 3.4watt bulb or even turn signal indicator bulb. Though indicator comes up with some motorcycle looking replacements.
Leave it out and get the inspection (as long as it's not required). Then check out the vids below. I like how the half of the light flashes on the side you're turning.

[youtube:1lblrwot]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn5DoYWL0tA[/youtube:1lblrwot]

[youtube:1lblrwot]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqO7U92Wp84[/youtube:1lblrwot]

Old 08-07-2013, 10:41 AM   #24
bwader

Yep I'm aware of the KISS concept just didn't know taking out or changing the turn signal indicator bulb would be easy.

Mole2 those videos came up as just an ! in the middle. I'll look on u tube
Old 08-07-2013, 03:02 PM   #25
bwader

I got a new Sylvania 3.4watt mini bulb and it works in the socket.

BUT, it still same problem lights alternate.

Maybe its the boot part

I set up an appointment tomorrow morning at the closest motorcycle mechanic shop a Harley Davidson dealership 8 miles away.

I started taking off the headlight to check out the connections inside earlier and I'm having trouble putting it back together right. It came off with a jiggle and some screws removed but I found one had a spring came out. I put that back in along with the white plastic part, spring was a pain to put back in its spot but I got it.

Just the headlight part is not on right just got held with a screw to not go anywhere. Going with my woman to get her another tattoo on her foot soon so I'll be at it maybe later. Wish I didn't take off the head light cover, I wouldn't have to deal with it right now, putting it back in right.

Old 08-07-2013, 03:09 PM   #26
alantf

I think you've removed the wrong screws. The screws with springs are for adjusting the direction of the beam, not removing the headlight.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:13 PM   #27
bwader

That's what that for. I'll be trying to put it back in right and get the screw lined up.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:51 PM   #28
mole2

Quote:
I got a new Sylvania 3.4watt mini bulb and it works in the socket.

BUT, it still same problem lights alternate.

Maybe its the boot part

I set up an appointment tomorrow morning at the closest motorcycle mechanic shop a Harley Davidson dealership 8 miles away.

I started taking off the headlight to check out the connections inside earlier and I'm having trouble putting it back together right. It came off with a jiggle and some screws removed but I found one had a spring came out. I put that back in along with the white plastic part, spring was a pain to put back in its spot but I got it.

Just the headlight part is not on right just got held with a screw to not go anywhere. Going with my woman to get her another tattoo on her foot soon so I'll be at it maybe later. Wish I didn't take off the head light cover, I wouldn't have to deal with it right now, putting it back in right.
If you look at the schematic in the service manual online here you'll see there is a lead from the right front directional and a lead from the left front directional that go to the indicator bulb. There is no ground going to that indicator bulb and there are no diodes in those leads to prevent feedback. It's quite possible that the bulb is a special bulb from the manufacturer because if you put those leads to each side of a filament there is going to be a feedback when the bulb looks for ground. It's a strange setup indeed. It's got me stumped at this point especially since if you remove the bulb the feedback goes away (according to your prior post).

Old 08-08-2013, 12:27 AM   #29
bwader

If you look at the schematic in the service manual online here you'll see there is a lead from the right front directional and a lead from the left front directional that go to the indicator bulb. There is no ground going to that indicator bulb and there are no diodes in those leads to prevent feedback. It's quite possible that the bulb is a special bulb from the manufacturer because if you put those leads to each side of a filament there is going to be a feedback when the bulb looks for ground. It's a strange setup indeed. It's got me stumped at this point especially since if you remove the bulb the feedback goes away (according to your prior post).

[/quote]

Sorry about that, I had thought that, but I was wrong. When I took out the bad bulb I couldn't tell if it did or not. I got a bulb and it works fine, just not 2 filaments in there just one. As it works now the indicator bulb lights up the same in left or right position but in the middle it stops. That's good enough for me.

I don't know where to readily find that 2 filament split bulb. That boot might be shorting still, I guess I don't know. Maybe just having the right bulb keeps it from trying to ground on the opposite turn signal bulb.

At any rate I have an appointment with that Harley Davidson shop at 930am in the morning so hopefully its money worth spent if its a deeper problem.

I haven't gone through all that wiring in the headlight housing so it could very well be in there or wherever it gets grounded to the frame.

I skimmed past that second video earlier. Usually I'm a do it yourselfer for saving money but on this one I'm going with what my better judgement tells me not to and to listen to my woman- go take it to a shop to get it fixed.

Goodnight its midnight thirty here.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:39 AM   #30
mole2

Quote:

Sorry about that, I had thought that, but I was wrong. When I took out the bad bulb I couldn't tell if it did or not. I got a bulb and it works fine, just not 2 filaments in there just one. As it works now the indicator bulb lights up the same in left or right position but in the middle it stops. That's good enough for me.
That's the way it is supposed to work.

Quote:
I don't know where to readily find that 2 filament split bulb. That boot might be shorting still, I guess I don't know. Maybe just having the right bulb keeps it from trying to ground on the opposite turn signal bulb.

At any rate I have an appointment with that Harley Davidson shop at 930am in the morning so hopefully its money worth spent if its a deeper problem.

I haven't gone through all that wiring in the headlight housing so it could very well be in there or wherever it gets grounded to the frame.

I skimmed past that second video earlier. Usually I'm a do it yourselfer for saving money but on this one I'm going with what my better judgement tells me not to and to listen to my woman- go take it to a shop to get it fixed.

Goodnight its midnight thirty here.
Ok, just to make sure I understand you. The directionals are working properly AND the indicator is working properly. The indicator just flashes, it doesn't indicate which side. That is how it's designed. The Youtube videos show you how to have it work showing which side is blinking.