Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Other Models/Manufacturers

Old 02-21-2014, 05:13 AM   #21
alantf

I've noticed that even the prices the Americans are tossing about are MUCH cheaper than ours. I must live in a very expensive part of the world for motor vehicles. Even the car I bought eleven years ago was only around $3,000 dollars more than the vstrom is today. A good second hand bike can cost €5,000 or more.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-21-2014, 10:50 AM   #22
Water Warrior 2

You are not alone Alantf. Our friends down under pay some steep prices for their transportation too. Bikes and cars.
With the auto industry starting to shut down manufacturing in Australia they may even pay more in the future. GM has been moving into China with their manufacturing for years now so what will become of the Made in America symbol. This is a real kick in the pants after the U.S. and Canadian governments bailed them out to keep them operating and provide North Americans with jobs and security.
The so called Global Economy is a 2 edged sword for many folks. Some products are cheaper now but no one has a job to earn money to buy anything. The spin off from auto manufacturing in N.A. is being reduced further and causing more unemployment as time goes by.
Suzuki pulled their auto sales out of the states due to a very small market share and high costs of dealerships and their support. Thankfully the bike sales are in better position in N.A. even if it is still a smaller part of their overall sales world wide.
Old 02-27-2014, 03:07 AM   #23
Water Warrior 2

Quick update on the Money Pit. Oil pan and gasket kit are at the shop. Met my new Kenda tires today too. In the mail is a brand spanking new set of Honda fairing mount mirrors. ebay is the best recycler in the world. Used and New Old Stock is there for the buying.
P.O. sent me 2 original owners manuals and another spare key.

Old 03-28-2014, 12:07 AM   #24
Water Warrior 2

Ta Da! The Wing is ready to fly home. All the needed stuff was done and all I need to do is get it home to install the new mirrors and clean it up nice. All in all I am quite pleased with the results so far. $250 on ebay for mirrors, gasket kit and used oil pan. Add in the work and parts in the shop comes to $1100. $1800 for the bike and I should have an old reliable bike for $3150 total. The Silver Wing 650 like this one was only made for one year so it should retain some value for a while.
Gotta do some cleaning and TLC on various items to improve it's looks so it is insurable as a Collector bike which is about 20% of a non collector. The first ride from the shop to home should be a bit tense so I will be waiting for a warm sunny day to ease into riding again.
I will try for some pics if I can figure out Windows 8. My old desk top with Windows 7 was a snap but it is sadly semi retired and needs work to function properly.
Time to dig out the riding gear now.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:08 AM   #25
Fawlty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior 2 View Post
Ta Da! The Wing is ready to fly home. All the needed stuff was done and all I need to do is get it home to install the new mirrors and clean it up nice. All in all I am quite pleased with the results so far. $250 on ebay for mirrors, gasket kit and used oil pan. Add in the work and parts in the shop comes to $1100. $1800 for the bike and I should have an old reliable bike for $3150 total. The Silver Wing 650 like this one was only made for one year so it should retain some value for a while.
Gotta do some cleaning and TLC on various items to improve it's looks so it is insurable as a Collector bike which is about 20% of a non collector. The first ride from the shop to home should be a bit tense so I will be waiting for a warm sunny day to ease into riding again.
I will try for some pics if I can figure out Windows 8. My old desk top with Windows 7 was a snap but it is sadly semi retired and needs work to function properly.
Time to dig out the riding gear now.
Bet you can't wait for that warm sunny day! Be careful and enjoy!

(Johnny Strabbler-The Wild One 1953)

Old 03-28-2014, 07:47 AM   #26
blaine

Congrats W.W.Hope she works good for you.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:06 AM   #27
Water Warrior 2

Thanks guys. I always thought it would be sort of neat to have had at least one bike from each big Japanese manufacturer. Just need to ride the Wing to complete the thought.
I should probably not call the bike a Money Pit anymore as it did not cost as much overall as I anticipated for the repairs, parts and maintenance. That was a nice surprise.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:33 PM   #28
grasshopper

Don't forget to post the pics of the WING. Have fun with it and be safe.

http://youtu.be/KIS9Hzv--f0
https://youtu.be/fvmTNllcQOQ
Old 03-28-2014, 05:28 PM   #29
Water Warrior 2

Wing pics will happen when I get the other computer tuned up and can do something with apps that make sense to me.
Old 03-29-2014, 01:21 AM   #30
JWR

Truth is there are lots of great bikes available
and not nearly as many good riders out there riding them...
"A man's got to know his limitations..."