Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 05-14-2011, 01:52 PM   #1
geezer

brakes squeel

so when i hit the front brake i get a loud nasty squeel. i told my girlfriend she was just gonn a have to deal with it but now its bugging me too! i figured it was pads so i swapped em out and its still doing it. is this a gz thing? or can it be fixed?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-14-2011, 02:02 PM   #2
blaine

Re: brakes squeel

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer
so when i hit the front brake i get a loud nasty squeel. i told my girlfriend she was just gonn a have to deal with it but now its bugging me too! i figured it was pads so i swapped em out and its still doing it. is this a gz thing? or can it be fixed?
Some aftermarket pads are notorious for squealing because of the material they are made from.Do you have the anti-squeal shim installed between the back of the pad and the caliber?
:cool:

Old 05-14-2011, 02:33 PM   #3
geezer

no, and it did this with the old pads too. so let me guess that shim doesnt come with the pads like they do with car pads? so i have to get that off suzuki?

Old 05-14-2011, 02:43 PM   #4
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer
no, and it did this with the old pads too. so let me guess that shim doesnt come with the pads like they do with car pads? so i have to get that off suzuki?
The shim doesn't come with the pads.Sometimes people throw them away,not realizing what they are.Also make sure the caliber can slide freely on the bolts,and not sticking.

Old 05-14-2011, 07:42 PM   #5
geezer

your always ther for me ma dude! :2tup:

Old 05-26-2011, 11:12 AM   #6
tcrave

I'm having the same problem. The pads look like they have plenty of life left in them. Is that anti-squeal shim that you are talking about just that metal plating that is usually behind the brake pad that you usually put grease on? It wouldn't surprise me if those are gone on mine considering the people I bought it from. Nice people, but didn't seem the least bit worried about the small stuff/details. Thanks for the tip!

Also, by back brakes have just started squealing too...could it be the same problem for front and back?
Old 05-26-2011, 01:33 PM   #7
mrlmd1

The rear brake is a drum, the front a disc. Does either brake squeal if you just roll the bike without applying the brake? Do the wheels spin freely or are the brakes grabbing a little?
I have seen both on a bike and my SO's Mazda Miata where a small pebble or stone can get stuck in under the pad and make a squealing/scraping noise. If you get it out, it stops.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:27 PM   #8
alantf

I was watching the mechanic fit new pads on my bike last week (labour is so cheap over here that I can't be bothered getting my hands dirty ) I noticed that there were no anti squeal shims fitted. Thing is - I've never had squealing front brakes, so I wonder if some geezers don't need 'em? :??:
Old 05-26-2011, 04:28 PM   #9
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrave
I'm having the same problem. The pads look like they have plenty of life left in them. Is that anti-squeal shim that you are talking about just that metal plating that is usually behind the brake pad that you usually put grease on?
Yes, that is the plate I'm talking about.A lot of the time,they get discarded,and you don't get new ones with new pads.Your rear brakes squealing is a totally different thing,because they are drum brakes.Some people never have a problem with pads squealing,depending on the brand of pads,and the surface of the brake rotor.

Old 05-26-2011, 09:46 PM   #10
Water Warrior 2

Very hard brake lining and pads will be more apt to squeal and not stop as well. Softer material generally works better with more rapid wear. Some of the aftermarket stuff is longer wearing and still returns better braking.
Sqealing(in my experience)is caused mostly by the brake material getting glazed. What I have done in the past is to remove the brake shoe and brake pads and give them a very light sand blasting. A little emery cloth to clean up the rear brake drum itself does fine. Never used emery cloth on front discs but I don't think it would hurt them. Someday I will try it.