raul10141964

impact wrench

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-29-2014, 08:23 PM   #192
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul10141964 View Post
impact wrench
Yes if you use a impact wrench (air gun) you don't need to worry about holding the flywheel.

Old 04-30-2014, 11:39 AM   #193
ImaginativeFig

I convinced my brother to go in on an impact and impact socket set with me (the electric kind, not hydraulic) with me. We're about to be room mates for a good while, so joint custody works out. Anyway, after letting it charge up, the impact worked fine at getting that nut off without a holder.

The puller I'd borrowed from the shop was too messed up to go on, so I pushed Cooter to the shop and we found a puller that fit and it came off pretty easily.

The idle gears were pretty snugged in there from the whole incident, so I used a pulley puller to lever them off (my room mate got another load of inherited tools from his grandpa which luckily had a selection of pulley pullers in it).

There's no way it was running with the gears like that, they had to have been switched since the bike broke down, I just don't know who/when/where/why.

So here's the damage. It's pretty messed up, not a clean snap, just bent 'til failure, so I'm scouring ebay for a replacement.

Old 04-30-2014, 04:00 PM   #194
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

See if you can just find a wreck bike and buy the whole thing... It's crazy how some of this stuff just magically fails/ends up backwards...
Old 05-01-2014, 10:33 AM   #195
ImaginativeFig

I've been looking. Can't find anything local, but did find one in Houston, but the seller stopped talking to me. Does switching engines and stuff change the title or registration stuff?

Also, my bike shop has been great about letting me borrow tools, they actually wound up taking my flywheel off for me (for free), I buy everything I need new from them (gaskets, oil, will probably get tires soon), but I'm feeling kinda free loadery. Would you guys (particularly the Americans, since this is probably pretty culture dependant) tip them or something? How much? And when there's 5 guys all helping a little bit, how does that get distributed? Haha, my boyfriend suggested baking them some cookies, but that might just be too girly for my pride.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:36 AM   #196
raul10141964

hear is one on e-bay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/05-Suzuki-GZ...8e5593&vxp=mtr
Old 05-01-2014, 02:09 PM   #197
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

IT's honestly good business - as a shop and mechanic guy - the best tip you can give me is sending your friends to that particular place. If it's a "mom & pop" business, they can't compete with advertising so customer service and quality work is their calling card. It's why when a local place doesn't offer the kind of service that you're getting right now, we recommend that people walk away.

If you feel obliged to toss in a few dollars, then by all means do so. But you're buying new parts from them and you are giving them repeat service. In their eyes, you're already one of the better customers. Their service to you isn't something that they are doing just cause they are looking for a handout.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:11 PM   #198
ImaginativeFig

Thanks raul, I actually found one at a very similar price with cheap expedited shipping. It should be here as soon as tomorrow! :3

jonathan, I kinda figured that. I dunno, one of the more blunt guys got really excited with the service request form when he heard I'd actually pushed the bike in. He's like "Here fill this out!" and I'm like, "Oh... well, the puller Isidro lent me was too mangled to use, so I was coming to see if we could find one that would fit actually..." and then Isidro tried really hard to get me to buy the gear there but... haha... $200...
I'm leaving them good reviews on any review sites I find though.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:44 PM   #199
ImaginativeFig

*Sigh* so I got 'im all reassembled, but still no go. Not sure if I'm just being skiddish and all those loud, bad sounding noises are normal (it's been so long since I heard what he's supposed to sound like).

But anyway, they were alarming noises and my boyfriend agreed that they were somewhat alarming and then we tried to turn over the engine by hand and found that I had not tightened the rotor nut on enough.

I took my impact to it again and got the nut about flush with the end of the shaft, the bf expressed concerns about messing up the crank shaft, so I stopped.

We tried with the ignition again and it made different alarming noises and he thought that the cam chain was in a bind, but we were both cranky and called it quits for the day

Today I took the cylinder head cover back off to have a look, saw nothing, drained all the oil back out and took a peek in the crank case at the lower end of the cam chain, and saw nothing wrong, so I tried turning it over by hand again and this video around 1:10 is how that worked out for me

Last edited by ImaginativeFig; 05-08-2014 at 09:47 PM. Reason: trying to make it less run on
Old 05-09-2014, 01:45 PM   #200
ImaginativeFig

Fun. Well... good thing I have my valves from my old head?
Any tips on preventing the same problem on reassembly?

Tags
electrical, oil, problems, troubleshooting, won't start