Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips

Old 08-11-2008, 10:52 AM   #1
El Diablo

Disc Lock

Was in a store the other day, talking to a fellow sitting behind the cash register with a cast on his leg. He was asking me about my motorcycle, as he noted I had carried in my helmet. He said he has a Ninga 250 and some kind of 500. When I asked about the cast he told me he was moving his 500 in his garage to get to his 250. He forgot about the disc lock and when it hit the caliper, the bike when down with his leg under it. Broke his ankle and leg. No body home so he had to crawl to his truck and drive himself to the hospital. He mused that here he had a "motorcycle accident" and no good story to tell.

Thought it was worth posting for anyone using these type locks to be extra careful.

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-11-2008, 11:03 AM   #2
Sarris

Ouch

There is a orange flag device that goes on your throttle grip to warn you about the disk lock. He probably should have used one.

:oops:
Old 08-11-2008, 11:46 AM   #3
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777
Why would he use a disc lock IN his own garage? Is his neighborhood that bad?

Old 08-12-2008, 03:14 AM   #4
Water Warrior 2

You do not have to be paranoid to lock up a bike in a garage. Both bikes have disc locks and are chained to a concrete pillar in an underground parking area. Our bikes are the only ones that have not been tampered with in this secure area. Unsecured bikes are easier to steal. Locking and unlocking a bike is cheaper than replacing it.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:32 AM   #5
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777
It's completely understandable in a parking garage. In a personal garage, like one attached to a house, it sounds ridiculous.

Old 08-12-2008, 05:22 PM   #6
El Diablo

I don't know the answer as to why this person locked in his garage but I would suspect that one might make it a point to always lock his/her bike so that it is habit forming and therefore one would not forget when parking somewhere a lock is needed.

In addition, many nice things are stolen out of garages every day in "nice" neighborhoods. The way the thieves generally work is to leave the bad area of town they live in and go to a nice area of town where people have nice things and are more trusting to leave garage doors opened and things unlocked.

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
Old 08-13-2008, 02:45 PM   #7
patrick_777

Good point. I have noticed in my neighborhood at 3am that there's usually at least 1 garage door left opened and unattended during the night. Hell, I've even done it myself once.

...and ONLY once.