Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 04-14-2012, 06:36 PM   #1
GZ250

Oil Leak

The oil is leaking from the joint where the exhaust pipe connects with the head. Only one side (R) is leaking and (L) is clean. When the oil gets hot it leaks and comes out and burn and when I give the throttle I can see smoke coming out from this area in the (R) exhaust.

1- Is there a seal in there which needs to be replaced and is it doable with limited tools?
2- Is the fix (repair) is only from the outside or do I have to do inside the head to replace the seal or whatever needs to be fixed?
3- Should I fix both or only which is leaking?

I can do such stuff but never done this before. If it is straight forward I will try otherwise the mechanic will be a happy man.

Thanks as always for the help.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-14-2012, 09:44 PM   #2
JWR

Re: Oil Leak

Let me help you with the Left and Right.

Sitting on the bike is considered left side or right side, not standing in front of the bike.

Several people have had the same problem as you, I believe it turned out to be a head gasket.

Truth is there are lots of great bikes available
and not nearly as many good riders out there riding them...
"A man's got to know his limitations..."
Old 04-16-2012, 08:16 AM   #3
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Before you break it down and do anything else, just try snugging up your exhaust header bolts. The exhaust gasket is little more than a copper/metal washer that gets slightly crushed into the seal. Time and heating and cooling periods and vibrations can tend to loosen things up.

If you actually have a head gasket issue, then you're simply trying to bide your time until you eventually get the head gasket replaced.

Wash that part of the bike very thoroughly and then see how long the spot takes the develop.

Good luck.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:06 AM   #4
GZ250

Thanks

The leak is significant as lot of oil seeps and when it hits the hot surface it burns with fumes and is scary for others to see (probably thinking the thing might explode).

Bolts on the exhaust are kind of rusted but I will try to work with them. That is why I was asking if there is any seal in there that could be replaced as a first step before I go to head gasket. I probably won't hit the street before fixing it.

If and when I change the head gasket, anything else that needs to be replaced or needs some repair or work around the head area. I will search here but if someone knows a link to a previous mail regarding head gasket change. Thanks
Old 04-16-2012, 10:02 PM   #5
trykemike

check the nut on the bolt that is between the exhaust pipes at the front of the engine it is a 10 mm and tends to come loose which will result in an oil leak. I suggest that you snug it up then add a conical toothe washer and seal with blue locktite thread locker. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN THE NUT as you could shear the bolt.

Old 06-01-2012, 02:02 AM   #6
therockbg

Hello, though a little bit late responce - i had the same problem a month ago. absolutely the same - left side was leaking oil from the exhaust when the engine got hot.
This was when i brought my Gz250. The previous owner told me he had changed the whole exhaust the last season he was driving it and told me i need to change head gasket because of this leak..
So i decided to open the connection between the engine and the exhaust and what do i see there?
- e see some bolts being bent from the heat and i see that this stupid motherf*****er had not changed the small round gaskets fro the exhaust that cost like 2$ each so therefore all the area around the exhaus pipe was leaking oil and was getting extremely hot and bent all the bolst ... so the repair was just simply going to buy new gaskets and 4 new bolts.
After you fix it you will still have some smoke until the oil that is already spilled burns out.