Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Instructional Articles

Old 12-16-2009, 02:05 PM   #1
hugemoth

DIY rear rack

Here's a quick and dirty, cheap and sturdy, aluminum rack made from Home Depot hardware for about $20. It replaces the rear seat. An easy afternoon project requiring only a vise, hack saw, electric drill, and a few hand tools.

This rack is made from a single 8' piece of 1/8" X 1" aluminum bar stock, held together with 10 3/4 X 1/4-20 stainless machine screws and nylock nuts. Dimensions of the rack are 7" X 14". Attachment to the bike is with the 3 existing rear seat bolts and 2 fender bolts. It's sturdy enough to support my 250lb fat ass without bending. My purpose is to attach a plastic milk crate or camping gear.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 12-16-2009, 05:10 PM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Re: DIY rear rack

I like that. You do nice work.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:08 PM   #3
alanmcorcoran

Very nice design and execution. It's been almost 40 years since I took metal shop. Is there a tool that allowed you to do such precise bending of the bar or is it more of a skill?

If you end up with an aftermarket trunk (rather than the milk crate) keep us posted.

Did you replace the stock bolts in the fender with longer ones?

Old 12-16-2009, 06:54 PM   #4
hugemoth

To get the bends I put the aluminum bar in the vise along side a socket of whatever diameter and just bend it over by hand. Think I used a 13/16 spark plug socket. The aluminum won't take a sharp bend like steel will.

If I use any kind of a trunk it'll just be one of those Rubbermaid containers.

The fender bolts in my Chinese clone are about an inch longer than they need to be so replacement wasn't necessary.

Q
Old 06-10-2010, 05:07 PM   #5
nautec

I am curious how this would affect the installation of saddlebags. Not sure how all saddlebags are attached but mine are tied down under the passenger seat and is held in one spot by the passenger seat. I am tempted to try to build this rack large enough to fit over the seat but seems like a waste. One other thought i was pondering was adding a bar or two running lengthwise under the rack to accommodating the saddlebags to stay up and not sit on the muffler. However, this leads to exposing the securing straps to the saddlebags to everyone. Hmm, what to do. Any suggestions?

Old 06-10-2010, 05:35 PM   #6
Sarris

You can install the bags by inserting the split throw over tongue behind the fender support rails. The bag support rails need to be installed to create a large enough gap to slip the bag tongue behind the fender support.

See my previous post here: The Sarris GZ... Look about halfway down for the description.

Further explanation here: Further Explanation & Photos

Here is how to make a heat shield (necessary) to keep from burning your right bag. Heat Shield... I have a photo towards the bottom of the page.

:2tup:
Old 08-07-2010, 08:52 AM   #7
emory70

when i read "home depot hardware," i instantly rolled my eyes. omg, not another awful hack job. then i looked at your pic. damn, that's pretty nice. good job man.