Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 01-11-2015, 09:06 PM   #1
Hawkeye

Possibly a dumb question

So, today I bought an 03 250. When we fired it up it idled REAL high. I looked at the handle to see if the choke was open and the choke arrows were worn off. He insisted that all the way back (toward the driver) was choke off. I'm pretty sure that is choke on but since this is my first Suzuki, I didn't argue. He adjusted the idle on the throttle cable to try and compensate for the high idle (didn't help). If he has in fact, been riding it with the choke open, will that cause and damage to the engine? I rode it around and didn't seem to notice any issues except maybe it was a little sluggish.

Thanks,

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Last edited by Hawkeye; 01-11-2015 at 09:08 PM.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:56 PM   #2
Water Warrior 2

The choke is off when pushed forward toward the front wheel. The idle is adjusted with the white knob on the carb. Adjusting the cables is for correcting the cable stretch over time to take up the slack.
The engine should be warmed up with the choke off to adjust the idle. 1200 rpm's is about perfect.
If the bike was ridden a lot with the choke on I would be very sure to change the oil soonest.
While you are at it and have the time, go over the bike for all working lights, loose or missing fasteners, chain and sprocket condition(lube and adjust), air pressure according to sticker, tire condition(should be free of cuts and bulges plus the age of the tires). If the tires are original they are too old for safe riding and will try to hurt you.

Oh..............there are no stupid questions.
Old 01-12-2015, 01:20 AM   #3
gz4me +

Water warrior is correct. Change the oil now. Use contact cleaner in the switches. Check for loose bolts,nuts,screws,etc.. Lube and adjust chain. I would also check valve clearance. We have seen alot of valve failure in the recent past. This is not a hard check to preform and could save you from major failure down the road.

Login or Register to Remove Ads