Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 09-06-2015, 06:54 PM   #1
Hydrilla

Hello from central NC

Hi all, glad to be here. I joined because we just bought my wife's first bike, an '07 GZ. She is 5' with shoes on, and that seriously limits her choices, for a first bike at least. She crawled around on a number different bikes, and this is the one she felt the most comfortable on. We have been doing some parking lot training, and she is taking the MSF class in a few weeks.

This bike is pretty darn cherry for its age. The previous owner had some recent health issues so it has been sitting a while, and we are working through getting it back running right.

All of the carb bikes I've had in the past, including my current one which is a KLR, had a petcock with Reserve, On and Off positions, and I foolishly assumed this one was the same. I rode it home a few days ago with the bike in the Prime position, and you all know what that does. Once I realized my mistake, I tried to run it in the On or Reserve positions, and it would sputter and die in a matter of seconds. I soon realized that was caused by the vacuum hose being completely disconnected from the petcock.

It was still running poorly, and hesitating especially at lower an mid RPMs, so I automatically assumed carb issues. I tried Seafoam but it didn't seem to help. Today I removed the tank and checked the petcock screens, and they are clean. I pulled the carb and found the pilot jet and one of the other jets (didn't read which one was which) were clogged badly- no daylight, and a fair dose of green algae-looking slime on them, and in the bowl.

I'm soaking those parts now, and hoping this fixes the rough running issues. I think it will. Other than that the bike is doing great. I read that there's an adjustable brake lever so we'll be buying that, she has a hard time reaching. I haven't found an adjustable clutch lever yet, does anyone know if there is one compatible with the GZ?

The only other mod I did was switch the horn with a 112db PIAA that I had in my parts stash, it makes quite a difference.

I didn't mean to be so long-winded, but thanks for having me here. My wife will say hello at some point but she's not much of a discussion board person.

Here she is in her first parking lot practice session, you can see/hear the bike hesitating/surging pretty easily.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-06-2015, 11:58 PM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Welcome and great have you. Your wife will love the GZ. Lynda, my SO bought her GZ as a 1st bike and had a wonderful time perfecting her skills and muscle memory.
If the bike is too tall in the saddle at a stop the rear can be lowered slightly(different shocks) and the forks should be able to be raised in the clamps a wee bit.
Gotta love big parking lots. Been there done that with Lynda.

Last edited by Water Warrior 2; 09-07-2015 at 12:01 AM.
Old 09-07-2015, 02:35 AM   #3
gz4me +

Welcome to the forum and the GZ. The GZ is great bike. It is easy to maintain and ride. Enjoy the GZ and the forum.

Old 09-07-2015, 03:47 AM   #4
Hydrilla

Thanks for the welcome! The saddle height is perfect, but she has some trouble with the levers. It's a little unnerving when the clutch lever slips out of her hand unexpectedly.

Impressive little motorbike though. At 6' tall, it's the first 250 I've ever ridden that didn't make me feel like I could use my knees as earmuffs.
Old 09-07-2015, 07:32 AM   #5
blaine

Welcome to the family!!

Old 09-08-2015, 12:54 AM   #6
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrilla View Post
At 6' tall, it's the first 250 I've ever ridden that didn't make me feel like I could use my knees as earmuffs.
Gotta agree with you. The Rebel 250 is just too small in nearly all categories and the Yamaha 250 is acceptable until the bars catch your knee in a tight manuever with a resulting oops. Don't ask me how I know.