Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 01-07-2014, 09:47 PM   #1
Marunui

Tools u should carry when your riding ?

Hi what kind of tools do I need to buy just in case something goes wrong while I'm riding ? What kind of screw drivers ?sockets? Etc r able to keep stored some where on the bike thanks :confused:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 01-07-2014, 09:56 PM   #2
X10bws

For me, i always carry an adjustable crescent wrench, a philips screw driver and some zap straps.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:03 PM   #3
JWR

1. AAA coverage.
2. Cell phone.

I do have the factory tool kit, plus air compressor, tire plug kit and rok straps.

http://www.rokstraps.com

Truth is there are lots of great bikes available
and not nearly as many good riders out there riding them...
"A man's got to know his limitations..."

Old 01-08-2014, 02:13 AM   #4
Water Warrior 2

Tools can be good to you or bad depending on your abilities. Always have the screwdriver that comes in the OEM tool kit. It is a JIS tool. Regular screwdrivers will not work as well. I usually will supplement the OEM tool kit with better pliers, better wrenches, small sidecutters, small crescent wrench and zip ties. Make sure you can actually do a chain adjustment with the kit tools. Carry a couple fresh cotter pins too. I also will include a spare headlight bulb, a flashlight(LED is best)and a small roll of electrical tape. Oh, spare fuses for sure.
I also had the room on the Vstrom to haul a lot of tools so your results may vary.
To establish the effectiveness of the OEM tool kit try to make as many adjustments and service procedures as possible. Upgrade any tools that won't work well for you.
A small can of chain lube for longer trips. A pair of nitril rubber gloves to keep your hands clean.
If you are selective with tools you can carry a lot within a small pouch or case somewhere on the bike.
Chances are if you are prepared nothing will go wrong. On our trip 1/2 way across Canada and back I replaced one headlight bulb in the GZ and did one chain adjust on each bike. Lubed the chains at the end of every day. Topped up the oil if needed. The GZ did surprise me with it's ability to log a good distance everyday with no complaint. Lynda was comfy 100% of the time on her bike.
The key to a successful trip is to go over the bike before the trip for loose fittings, lights in working order, tire pressures and that means having a tire gauge you can trust.
Tire gauges have various quality issues. I tried an el-cheapo with the flat strip that slid out. JUNK!! I tried one with the square indicator that slid out and compared it to my trusty dial gauge and it was within an acceptable standard at various pressures. Basically one dollar more buys peace of mind.
Almost done now. Anymore questions and I will gladly answer to the best of my experience.
If you have any fears about weather and needed clothing ask away and we will all chirp in on how to spend your money.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:29 AM   #5
alantf

JWR...Are you still riding the GZ? If so, don't forget that a tyre plug kit won't work with tubed tyres.

Old 01-08-2014, 05:52 AM   #6
Marunui

Quote:
Originally Posted by X10bws View Post
For me, i always carry an adjustable crescent wrench, a philips screw driver and some zap straps.
Ok thank you for that
Old 01-08-2014, 05:54 AM   #7
Marunui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior 2 View Post
Tools can be good to you or bad depending on your abilities. Always have the screwdriver that comes in the OEM tool kit. It is a JIS tool. Regular screwdrivers will not work as well. I usually will supplement the OEM tool kit with better pliers, better wrenches, small sidecutters, small crescent wrench and zip ties. Make sure you can actually do a chain adjustment with the kit tools. Carry a couple fresh cotter pins too. I also will include a spare headlight bulb, a flashlight(LED is best)and a small roll of electrical tape. Oh, spare fuses for sure.
I also had the room on the Vstrom to haul a lot of tools so your results may vary.
To establish the effectiveness of the OEM tool kit try to make as many adjustments and service procedures as possible. Upgrade any tools that won't work well for you.
A small can of chain lube for longer trips. A pair of nitril rubber gloves to keep your hands clean.
If you are selective with tools you can carry a lot within a small pouch or case somewhere on the bike.
Chances are if you are prepared nothing will go wrong. On our trip 1/2 way across Canada and back I replaced one headlight bulb in the GZ and did one chain adjust on each bike. Lubed the chains at the end of every day. Topped up the oil if needed. The GZ did surprise me with it's ability to log a good distance everyday with no complaint. Lynda was comfy 100% of the time on her bike.
The key to a successful trip is to go over the bike before the trip for loose fittings, lights in working order, tire pressures and that means having a tire gauge you can trust.
Tire gauges have various quality issues. I tried an el-cheapo with the flat strip that slid out. JUNK!! I tried one with the square indicator that slid out and compared it to my trusty dial gauge and it was within an acceptable standard at various pressures. Basically one dollar more buys peace of mind.
Almost done now. Anymore questions and I will gladly answer to the best of my experience.
If you have any fears about weather and needed clothing ask away and we will all chirp in on how to spend your money.
Hey thanks for the advice yeah it's all in the prep as wel thankyou
Old 01-08-2014, 05:55 AM   #8
Marunui

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWR View Post
1. AAA coverage.
2. Cell phone.

I do have the factory tool kit, plus air compressor, tire plug kit and rok straps.

http://www.rokstraps.com
Yep got those important things sorted thanks for advice
Old 01-08-2014, 10:47 AM   #9
JWR

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf View Post
JWR...Are you still riding the GZ? If so, don't forget that a tyre plug kit won't work with tubed tyres.

The GZ was 3 bikes and 4 years ago.

Virago 250 one year.
Vulcan 500 one year.
SV 650 two years now.

Truth is there are lots of great bikes available
and not nearly as many good riders out there riding them...
"A man's got to know his limitations..."