Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips > Lessons Well-Learned

Old 10-03-2011, 05:02 PM   #1
kk4dbi

Check that gas level!

Hello all, I made a major newbie mistake about a year ago and now that I'm apart of this forum I'll share it in hopes it helps someone. I washed and waxed my gz250 and went off for a little reward ride in t-shirt and shorts. It was just getting dark and I headed down a 3 lane highway US-19 in Tarpon Springs, FL. All was well going around 45 mph visibility was okay and I was in the far left lane with several cars behind and to the right of me. My bike struggled for a moment and then I started losing power rapidly. Panicked I aimed for an oncoming turn lane to do an emergency pull over at too high a speed and locked the rear wheel. The bike skidded about 6 feet but fortunately the handle bars were square enough to ramp up (crash into) the gentle curb of the median, did a small hop and came to a safe halt in the grass. Pulling over properly and trembling with fright I looked over the bike and found no damage but major damage to my ego. I was frustrated with the motorcycle and I was almost convinced to sell it to the first taker. But begrudgingly it's not the bike, it's the driver and I hope to come to terms with rider responsibility in checking everything including something as simple as gas. The GZ250 does not have a low fuel light so you have to know when you are out, big change for me at least. I KNOW to check my mileage with the odometer to somewhat accurately measure gas remaining now ... It could've been worse for me but I'm fine and still enjoying the gz250..btw, this bike is AWWWEESOMEE
Safe and fun Riding everybody

Login or Register to Remove Ads