Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 08-06-2015, 05:33 AM   #1
imrickyduh

Thumbs Up Hey all from Missouri!

Hey guys, Rick here, and I just got myself a nice Suzuki '03 GZ250 and found the right place to get started in learning about everything I need right here! First experience with a motorcycle but I used to also have a Honda Elite moped, only difference is now I have to learn the clutch! But no biggy there. Anyways I will post pictures of my bike very soon.

The story about my bike is my dad's friend/neighbor had this bike in 08 or so when his grandson dropped his only key down the toilet. I guess he was so busy and never looked into it but he never got another key. Come 7 years later my dad asks about it, long story short (and some yard work for the neighbor) if I pay for whatever needs to be done to get it running it would be mine! Free of charge! So here I am, emptied the gas tank, cleaned out a rats nest, took out the carb and cleaned it since it had been sitting for so long (also did this because of a gas leak) but just started up yesterday after everything I bought. So I am excited to say I will be cleaning it up and polishing it to take pics tomorrow. Seems to be in good condition, had to let it run then change the idle, seemed to be running higher than normal, but I am excited for this to be my first bike.

Anyways glad I can be here to exchange information with you guys. Already from searching the forums have you guys helped in checking out my bike. Hope to talk to you all soon!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-06-2015, 07:14 AM   #2
blaine

Welcome to the family.

Old 08-06-2015, 11:53 AM   #3
alantf

Hi there, and welcome. As regards the idle, it needs to be set (when HOT) to between 1200 to 1400 RPM, so it'll sound higher than your moped.

Old 08-07-2015, 12:38 AM   #4
Water Warrior 2

Hi Ricky. Glad to have you join us on the forum. You've come to the best place to learn about the care and feeding of a GZ. They are really easy to ride and maintain without going broke.

I am assuming the tires are original. If so be prepared to replace them soonest. It's not the amount of tread you have but the age of the rubber. A good safe tire is only safe for 5 years, then it gets hard and the rubber will become slippery. You will find a few other things that need replacing due to age but that is acceptable in most cases.
Lube everything you can and make sure all the fasteners, nuts and bolts are secure. Ride Safe.
Old 08-07-2015, 03:49 AM   #5
gz4me +

Welcome to the forum. The GZ is a great bike. Enjoy the forum and the GZ.