Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 07-16-2012, 04:57 PM   #11
mrlmd1

Re: Need a little more torque

Sorry for the delay in answering you, been away for a few days.
I looked at a few of the Honda Shadows up to 750cc, a couple of Kawasakis around the same size, and a Yamaha Virago, but after sitting on them all and riding the S50, that did it for me. It was quicker and lighter, a very reliable solid bike as attested to on another popular forum with one member having 135,000 miles on one at the time it got wrecked (hit by a car), and 80,000 miles so far on the second one he got. And I liked the way it looked too. To each his own, you have to try them on and see how they fit and perform.
All I can say is look around for a while, don't rush into a bigger, heavier, more powerful bike too fast. If it's too much for you, you won't ride it as much and you won't feel safe. Everyone eventually gets a bigger bike, then after they get smarter, they buy the third one which is usually the one they keep.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-16-2012, 11:49 PM   #12
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
Everyone eventually gets a bigger bike, then after they get smarter, they buy the third one which is usually the one they keep.
Oh crap!! Now I gotta buy another bike after 7 years on the Weestrom??????? ARGH.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:46 AM   #13
bonehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Quote:
Everyone eventually gets a bigger bike, then after they get smarter, they buy the third one which is usually the one they keep.
Oh crap!! Now I gotta buy another bike after 7 years on the Weestrom??????? ARGH.
Yep. Time to go get the land yacht on 2 wheels. Hurry! :2tup:

Old 07-17-2012, 03:05 PM   #14
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonehead
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Quote:
Yep. Time to go get the land yacht on 2 wheels. Hurry! :2tup:
Actually there is one for sale right here in town. A friend has a slightly used(20,000miles)1999 Kawi 1500 cruiser that he would part with. It is tempting. Would have to sell the Weestrom first though. Another fellow has a 2004 H-D up for grabs but they are just too common a sight around here. And he wants far too much.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:01 PM   #15
fatoldfool

I have already had the bigger bikes. Been up and down like a yo-yo. Just counted up and have had over 15 bikes in my life, 4 sportsters and a FatBoy within the last two years. I am stupid enough that if I have a bike that is "special" like the last sportster (very fast souped up 1200ss) I have to act like I am 16 again. I have been trying to find an S-40 but no luck so far....May just keep the GZ250 even though the mileage dropped to 90.1 on this tank...heh, heh!!! It is almost enough, but just does not have enough to pass the 45 mph cigarette smokers in the short stretches of straight roads here in WV.....and at that it has some more power and speed than my first bike, a Harley Hummer, 125cc two-stroker.....Wife wants me to forget the bike and swap for a newer pickup.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:29 PM   #16
Water Warrior 2

Have you priced out a new S-40? They aren't very much compared to a lot of other bikes out there.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:28 AM   #17
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoldfool
even though the mileage dropped to 90.1 on this tank
"Dropped" to 90.1? What were you doing before that? Pedalling on the flat bits? :??:
Old 07-19-2012, 11:50 AM   #18
fatoldfool

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoldfool
even though the mileage dropped to 90.1 on this tank
"Dropped" to 90.1? What were you doing before that? Pedalling on the flat bits? :??:
This is only the second tank and the first was 96.6 OK, I am still amazed because we have lots of hills and I have to hit 4th a lot...but I guess the extra you use going up is saved going down..I live in a rural area and do very little city/town traffic. My town does not even have a stoplight although it has a couple of stop signs.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:34 PM   #19
fatoldfool

Looks like I am going to be keeping the GZ. Had some expenses I wasn't expecting. Had to buy a storage building and the prefabbed buildings are expensive.....I probably have half the materials needed to build it myself but I don't have the time right now. Anyway, I like the little bike, it is so handy, so easy to back down the sidewalk off the patio and don't have to worry about putting a foot down in the wrong place and getting off balance and dropping the bike.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:26 PM   #20
Water Warrior 2

You will never regret keeping the "little bike". It does what it is designed to do with few complaints. You can always upgrade at a later date with no regrets. Your GZ may someday become some one's first bike and teach them the fun and joy of riding while they perfect their skills and confidence on 2 wheels.