Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 08-18-2012, 07:21 PM   #1
clonak

So I woke the beast from her slumber....

Nearly 2 months ago I parked the GZ up untill I had time/money to fix many small issues I have been ignoring for some time now. 2 months later, I still had not done anything about them, so I decieded to put it into the shop. I decieded to ride it down to the shop, to get her moving again and remember the things that needed attention along the way.
I know the battery is pretty naffed, has been since I got it, and I can not get a battery tender to where the bike is parked with out long extention cables exposed to the weather. So I usually just roll start it down the hill out the front of my house, ride around, battery lasts a couple of days.
So I pushed it up the hill, choke on, turned the key, put it into second gear and let her roll.... bit of a sputter, but wouldnt run. Back upto the top of the hill, with all my gear on, key on, in gear, away we go. Nothing. Do it again, nothing. Alot of swearing, huffing and puffing, decided stuff it ill jump start it off the car, let it crank untill it wants to go. walk up the hill, get the car, park it up, hook up the cables, do my usual check before I start..... I didnt turn the petcock to prime.... DUMB ASS. Turn it to prime, turn the key, push the button, away she goes.
Clearly 2 months is to long. Ill just jump start it next time, now I have decent jumper leads.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-18-2012, 07:37 PM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Re: So I woke the beast from her slumber....

That is just too funny. Done that myself years ago with my Suzuki Water Buffalo. Ran the battery down in the garage after trying to start it. The bike also had a kick starter so my buddy and I took turns kicking the darn thing. We were in my dad's garage at 2 in the morning wouldn't ya know. Bike is backed up to the open doors. Finally I had a most brilliant thought. Prime position. Kick kick ringa ding ding goes the 2 stroke triple. I warmed it up at 9000 rpm at 2 in the morning. :lol: :lol:
Old 08-18-2012, 07:59 PM   #3
fatoldfool

I will bet if you have not done that, you have never had a bike! I had a friend who hit the kill button on his 350 Honda going to work one morning..Left the bike beside the road in the papermill and it got splashed with wet lime....lucky he noticed the kill button first thing that evening.....
Hey WW, I lost a collarbone, a good amount of skin and some blood to a Water Buffalo!!! It was a BEAST in its day!

Old 08-18-2012, 10:26 PM   #4
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoldfool
I will bet if you have not done that, you have never had a bike! I had a friend who hit the kill button on his 350 Honda going to work one morning..Left the bike beside the road in the papermill and it got splashed with wet lime....lucky he noticed the kill button first thing that evening.....
Hey WW, I lost a collarbone, a good amount of skin and some blood to a Water Buffalo!!! It was a BEAST in its day!

I would love to have another one just to be different. I always liked the sound and the way it would rev up. Mine was one of the last ones made so it had the latest styling for the Pumper series. Gotta love the smell of 2 stroke oil in the morning.

The only real flaws in the bike were 3 sets of points and condensers which could be cured with aftermarket transister stuff and a plastic water pump impeller that was replaceable with a metal one.
Old 08-19-2012, 04:53 AM   #5
clonak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Gotta love the smell of 2 stroke oil in the morning.

The only thing that beats the smell of 2 stroke, is burning rubber. If either were made into a cologne it would be the only one I would own.

Old 08-19-2012, 04:26 PM   #6
mole2

I always turn the fuel valve on the V-Star to the off position when I put her in the garage. One day I started her up and took off. Got two blocks away headed to the gas station since she was near running out and it conks out. Curses. I try and try to start her and figure I have to push her home. This is a 90+F day with high humidity. I get her to the driveway and park her. I go in the garage and get a gas can and stick it in my truck. I walk over to the bike and a light went off over my head. Turn the fuel on stupid. Started right up. I felt so embarassed. I hopped on and rode to the gas station and filled her up. Go figure.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:05 PM   #7
Rookie Rider

Im guilty of not turning the fuel on too :o/
Old 08-20-2012, 09:32 PM   #8
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie Rider
Im guilty of not turning the fuel on too :o/
Guilty: 20 lashes with a wet noodle. Followed by a healing ride.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:41 PM   #9
Rookie Rider

Dupo should put a "Like" button or a " thumbs up" on here for when you like another riders comment. Lol
Old 08-21-2012, 02:49 AM   #10
clonak

If I had a dollar for all the times I forgot to turn the fuel on on the RGV I would be a very rich man. It would run on the smell of an oily rag too, so I would get ages before it would cut out. Loook at the fuel gage, "what!?!?!" "Oh. duh. " Got really good at turning the tap while riding.