Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Other Models/Manufacturers

Old 08-14-2012, 09:47 PM   #31
burkbuilds

Re: Vulcan 900 Trike Build

I ran into some fitment problems tonight getting the fiberglass body and everything to line up. Kinda looks like the axle needs to slide back a few inches and the only way that will happen is 1. Buy a longer drive belt, or 2. Replace the oversize pulley with one that matches the OEM diameter. I've sent pictures and questions to the kit supplier. I hope they have a quick and painless solution.

Here's pics of the problem:

The last picture shows it best. The wheel wells are touching the front edge of the tires and there is a large space behind the tire plus the seat is still not down as it should be and the touring trunk is hanging off the rear of the fiberglass base way to far.

I checked the pulley diameter difference again and it's over an inch different which makes the circumference over 3" difference which just might be the entire problem. It would actually be simpler to put a longer belt on it than to swap the pulley out for a smaller one at this point but I'm sure nobody is going to want to buy me a new belt and they might swap out the pulley. I guess I'll have to wait and see.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-14-2012, 10:28 PM   #32
Water Warrior 2

Hmm. Is there enough adjustment to the rear end assembly to move it back the required distance? Hopefully the manufacturer has a solution.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:05 PM   #33
burkbuilds

I got a short reply from the company I purchased the kit from today. Basically, they are in Sturgis and they'll call me when they get back but they did not offer any real advice other than, "obviously, the axle is to close to the body of the bike", duh. So I called DNA, the company that actually manufactured the axle and talked with a very nice and knowledgeable representative. He told me that the axle is designed for Harley's and not any other bikes and the last time they sold a smaller pulley was in 2007 and they didn't sell well so they discontinued them. He was very nice and offered to contact a shop and provide them with the old specs for that pulley and get a price for me to have one made although he warned me that it would be very expensive in his opinion. I'm supposed to call him back tomorrow for an update.

I also spent over an hour at my local Kawasaki dealer this afternoon where they helped me look on line and in manuals for a longer belt that would work, but apparently, the belt on my 900 is about as long as they make one. I'm a little frustrated at this point and basically I don't think there is going to be a satisfactory solution that won't cost me a chunk of change. So, unless someone surprises me with a no cost or low cost solution I think I'm going to modify what I was planning and do this a little differently. I like the DNA axle and the brakes and tires are exactly what I want. I also like the touring trunk and I really wanted the fiberglass body but I don't think that is going to fit. So, I think I will probably try to send the body back for a refund, keep the axle set up and put my OE body parts back and add the trunk somehow. I've mocked it up a little tonight although I'll have to get some nice chrome fasteners and stuff to make it work and then add some stand alone fenders and go back with some saddle bags that will fit between the fenders and the bike. (The OE ones are to big to fit).
Here's what I have so far to give you an idea of where I think I'm going with this.

Old 08-15-2012, 11:36 PM   #34
Maggie

Hmmm...think I like this look a little better!
Old 08-16-2012, 12:04 AM   #35
Water Warrior 2

Here's hoping they take the body back. Fingers crossed.
Stand alone fenders may be a good solution to your dilema. Paint them the same as the center fender and it would likely be real neat and classy looking. Suitable bags and the trunk will make it a one of a kind touring rig.
Just letting my mind do some wandering. Barring the cost of course, would it be possible to use the body work as the basis for a trailer? It might be a lot of work but it sure would look neat.

Old 08-16-2012, 04:31 AM   #36
alantf

Just thinking aloud.......... Over here I've seen various trunk options fitted to quadbikes. You might like to search online to see if there's anything for you.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:25 PM   #37
burkbuilds

I talked with DNA again today. They were not able to find anyone willing to make me a one of a kind pulley. We also talked about the difference in offset side to side vs the Harley bikes this axle was designed for and when I measured the distance between the inside of the tires and the frame of my bike there is a 3" difference (about 76mm for anyone outside the US). Which means that the axle needs to slide 1-1/2" back to the right to be perfectly centered, but if I do that the sprocket won't line up. So, I'm even more frustrated with the whole thing now. I've sent two more e-mails to the company I bought the kit from asking if they have solutions for these problems but so far no reply. :??:
Old 08-16-2012, 09:58 PM   #38
Water Warrior 2

So they say the axle was designed for a H-D. Get it in writing and you have a reason for a full refund. Sounds like they were hoping you would put up with a lop sided trike kite. Close only counts in horseshoes, bikes need to be very exact to work properly and safely. They did not do their home work very well.
Old 08-18-2012, 05:13 PM   #39
mole2

If you payed with a credit card stop the payment. That will get attention. Being as the rear assembly is not for your bike they will have to give a full refund at that point and pay the return shipping or they don't get it back. That's the reason I pay for EVERYTHING with my cc. Plus the points.

Old 08-18-2012, 08:16 PM   #40
fatoldfool

Right on that credit card; this is just too sloppy to let go...sounds to me like someone just wanted some money fast and did NOT do any engineering....at any rate is poor business, and they should not be let by with it.....I wish you luck!...