Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 08-31-2012, 03:00 PM   #1
chandlerbingfl

Was riding and heard a ping then bike just died......

Was getting ready to head to the store and about 1/2 mile from home, I heard a ping or zing (definitely metal sounding) and the engine just quit. After I coasted over to the side of the road (clutch in) I hit the starter and the engine sounded normal during a quick 1 - 11/2 second hit on the starter but since I was concerned I didn't go any further. Got the bike home, removed the tank and plug. I am starting to remove the valve covers but wanted to see if I could get some input here on what to look for.

The bike is a 2009 w/ ~12k and I do not think the valves have been checked but I do keep up with general maintenance - oil/filter, chain, air filter and lubrication.

I had no previous issues with the bike, always started right up, no issues with power output or maintaining speed during normal usage.

When I hit the starter after it quit I did not hear anything other than the engine turning over. Any suggestions where I might find some tell tale clues as to what the problem might be?

Thanks!
chandlerbingfl

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-31-2012, 03:25 PM   #2
chandlerbingfl

Re: Was riding and heard a ping then bike just died......

I read through some other topics / posts and was able to roll the bike in neutral, I could hear pressure from the empty plug hole and the tire and chain appeared to move ok so I do not think anything is seized.

Another thing I did notice is that when I removed the plug is was slightly more than finger LOOSE.......

Again thanks!
chandlerbingfl
Old 09-01-2012, 03:34 PM   #3
webbmeister25d

I'm not a good mechanic at all, so take this with a grain (or shaker-full) of salt. Is it possible that the ceramic portion of the plug that surrounds the electrode has somehow been damaged? Would it pay to put in a new plug and start her up just to rule that out?

Jim

Old 09-01-2012, 06:12 PM   #4
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandlerbingfl
I read through some other topics / posts and was able to roll the bike in neutral, I could hear pressure from the empty plug hole and the tire and chain appeared to move ok so I do not think anything is seized.

Another thing I did notice is that when I removed the plug is was slightly more than finger LOOSE.......

Again thanks!
chandlerbingfl
You would have to have the bike in gear to roll it and turn over the engine. The loose plug sounds a little iffy. Were there any indications of torn threads from the cylinder head when you removed the plug?
Old 09-02-2012, 09:13 AM   #5
chandlerbingfl

My apologies @WW! I was actually in 5th gear and was able to roll the bike at which time I could hear pressure from the plug hole.

The plug / threads were ok after removal. Other than looking at the valves while the cover(s) are off and actually watching them move is there any other way to check them? I'm guessing there is some sort of timing chain inside, is there any kind of inspection cover so I can check the chain?

Thanks!
chandlerbingfl

Old 09-02-2012, 09:51 AM   #6
mrlmd1

You didn't ride over something that hit the bottom of the bike to make that sound, did you?
Have you tried to start it up again and gone for a ride since this happened? Maybe you are getting nuts for nothing.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:11 AM   #7
chandlerbingfl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
You didn't ride over something that hit the bottom of the bike to make that sound, did you?
Have you tried to start it up again and gone for a ride since this happened? Maybe you are getting nuts for nothing.
I thought that but my initial reaction was that since the engine died almost immediately something was wrong... Unfortunately I'm always thinking the worst, so I have not tried to restart it.... My biggest fear was something loose in the cylinder so I have not tried to start it since.

I guess I might as well put it back together and try it.....at this point if something is wrong it probably can't get much worse.....

Definitely appreciate the input!
chandlerbingfl
Old 09-02-2012, 01:42 PM   #8
Water Warrior 2

Is it possible that the noise and the bike quitting are totally unrelated? As suggested you may have just heard something kicked up by the front tire that bounced off the bike. AND then you ran out of gas. A long shot but I'm trying to keep it simple without tearing into the engine if it is not needed. Try to start the bike. We'll keep our fingers crossed and hope for success. Check the tank level, oil level and go for it.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:29 PM   #9
chandlerbingfl

Yep WW I do believe you are correct... I put everything back together, bike started right up! No rattles in the cylinder (lol) but got just down the street and it died. Bike would crank but not start completely so for grins I turned the petcock to RES and after a few attempts it started. Turned the petcock to PRI and after a few minutes it quit again. Several more attempts and appears that it will only start in RES (but will not continue to run in RES).

I know the fuel runs good out of the tank from when I removed it from the back. Now for me it looks as though it's fuel / carb related. I am a firm believer in Seafoam which I use on a regular basis. The air filter is 6 months new but I cleaned it out just in case. I have never made any carb adjustments other than infrequent idle changes mostly due to changes in weather.

Going to search through the posts here but if you or anyone else has any tips, hints, etc I'd definetly appreciate them....

Thanks!
chandlerbingfl
Old 09-02-2012, 05:54 PM   #10
fatoldfool

sidestand switch????